April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lawrence Kotchek, SKB, Jimmy W, Mark Larson, UncleKP, 1 invisible), 378 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,810
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#503261 01/28/18 12:58 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mending a long crack in a cheek ear in a sidekick. Was careful to mix 50/50 of the Acraglass ingredients (no dye added), and mixed for 4 minutes. The mend is holding, but the excess that squeezed out when I wrapped it with surgical tubing is soft. This makes me wonder if whats in the crack is soft as well. I will still be using the superglue technique for the rest of the inlettjng. Do I have a problem, or need longer time to cure?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just happened to have a newly purchased box of the Acraglass Gell sitting by my computer. It does say to let it sit for about ten hours then take the barreled action out of the wood clean it up then reassemble and let sit for a couple days to further cure. having said all that here goes. Could be that the ambient temp in your house will not allow the acraglass to cure in the allotted time as per the instructions. The colder it is the longer the cure time will be. One solution would be to set up the stock near a heat source like a table lamp to get the temps up and help speed up the cure. Been a cold winter this year and we have had record low temps here in Louisiana so North Carolina would be even colder further north. A good check would be the acraglass on the outside of the wood if setup under a lamp then should also have setup in the wood.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used some AG last week to mend a tiny sliver of wood that had split off by the top tang on a double I'm refinishing. It was only 44 degrees in my old shop when I mixed the stuff, and it was so stiff I could hardly get it to mix. But, I used it anyway and hung the stock over one of these little oil-filled electric radiator-looking heaters they used to sell. I let it hang over that low heat overnight and it was cured hard next day. The AG I was using is several yrs. old, so no worry about the age of it as long as it isn't hardened in the jar.

I'd put it over very low heat for a day and let it harden. Should be fine.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 01/28/18 07:53 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I always save the left over glue so I can see how it hardens up.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The consensus is that a little focused heat to finish up the curing? I can set the stock near a heat vent in the floor.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

When AG gets hard in the container put it in some hot water and it softens up and mixes well. Works for the gel or the liquid.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

As long as your ratio was correct and you mixed thoroughly, I'd have to agree that the reason it is still soft is due to curing temperature. The stuff inside the crack will be just as soft as what squeezed out. I wouldn't get the area too warm because most epoxies begin to break down and soften at around 160 degrees. Keep your clamps or rubber tubing in place until it is fully cured.

And next time, consider using Titebond II wood glue for repairing cracks in non-oily wood. In cracks and other close fitting joints, it is stronger than the wood, and it makes a less visible joint in walnut than epoxy. Epoxy may be a better choice for cracks that can't be clamped completely closed or where larger gaps need filled. However, bubba repairs like that have no place on nice guns.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use the Acra-Gel, it's a 50-50 mix.
Sometimes it takes longer to harden up if I eye-ball the 50/50 a bit off.

I always prop the just glued up assembly under a 75w pre-AlGore litebulb in a simple desk swinglamp fixture. Down close but not touching to assembly. I leave it on for several hours.
It makes the glue set up quicker,,'turn over' is term I hear often.
I take the metal out when it's set up firmly (comes apart easy at this point,,may not later if you leave it together for a couple days!) and then put it back together again,,about the 10hr mark but sometimes less.
The glue is still somewhat rubbery sometimes yet , sometimes harder. depends on the temp around it.
I keep a room temp of 63 in the winter so I usually get the former.
I leave some excess on the mixing paper to check the stuff as mark does. That helps alot.

Then just reassemble and leave it for a couple days or so to cure.
It'll harden up by it's chemical hocus pocus. Makes it's own heat I understand in curing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Acraglass is 1950's technology. If the prereacted resin crystallizes it really should be tossed. With todays polymers that will not happen The soft result is caused by moisture affecting the components, stunting the reaction. if you can cook out the moisture it may harden but then you never know if a good repair has been accomplished. Use a good quality slow cure 1:1 epoxy for better results.

wear those safety glasses
Sidelock
Sidelock

Acraglass is 1950's technology. If the prereacted resin crystallizes it really should be tossed. With todays polymers that will not happen The soft result is caused by moisture affecting the components, stunting the reaction. if you can cook out the moisture it may harden but then you never know if a good repair has been accomplished. Use a good quality slow cure 1:1 epoxy for better results.

wear those safety glasses
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.