April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Mike Harrell, GSPWillie, griz, 3 invisible), 195 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,433
Posts544,709
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would be curious to hear about your experiences there. I've pondered a high volume dove shoot for years and I'm closer to making a decision but would appreciate hearing perspectives from those who have been there. What would you do differently next time, etc? What's the most cost effective way to get the most shooting in...getting a special rate with a group, going a certain time of year, etc?

I'm considering JJ's operation but I'm open to ideas, PMs, etc.

I'm also curious about any tips on traveling there. It's one of those trips where the flight costs as much as the 3-4 day hunt. I would prefer to book a double hunt back to back if I could travel more cheaply to get there.

As to guns, I would either rent one of their 20 gauge semi-autos or preferably take my 28 gauge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's been 4 years since I have been, but I went for two years in a row prior to that.
The two times I went we shot Doves only. The 3rd trip we had planned on Doves for 3 days then 2 days of duck and Perdiz, unfortunately I didn't make the trip. I decided to get checked out health wise and ended up doing a 5 bypass heart surgery instead.

JJ Caseria was the outfitter we booked. No complaints. Service and meals were great, bird boys were courteous and the shooting was fantastic. The lodge was clean and had everything needed. We hunted the afternoon we arrived then two full days and a morning hunt on day we departed with 6000 shells (best I remember) for $2700. Ended up shooting more shells than that. I don't worry about the shell count as imo after going that far I'm not worrying about shooting more. That was my reason for going.

Carried my own gun a K20 with 28ga barrels. No hassle.

I'm sure there are lodges that provide more,luxurious accommodations and entertainment but after shooting that much I want a shower, meal and a bed. First trip there was only two of us with another party of two already there. Second time we had eight in our group. Entertainment in the form of local band with cultural dancers was provided. I can not,comment on that as I went to bed.

More birds than you can ever shoot. Believe me I tried. 1000-1500 a day is about all I could stand.

Anyone that enjoys shooting Doves should definitely have a high volume trip on their list.

Good luck and have fun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bryan,

I've been twice, and we have an entire lodge booked for the first week of August this year. I've only done dove. I'd like to try a combo trip, and that may happen some day, but for now I am more than happy to concentrate on doves.

You should still have my number. If you don't, p.m. me and I'll give it to you. There is so much to discuss for your first trip that it would be much more beneficial to talk, if possible. For now, suffice it to say that it is a wonderful trip, if all the "i"s are dotted and the "t"s crossed.

All my best, SRH

Last edited by Stan; 01/29/18 07:53 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you fancy additional input, send me a kommuniqué & I'll put you in touch w/ a couple of outfitters who will field all your questions. Then you can decide what country, what area suits your fancy. Personally, I tire of shooting solely doves & like a mixed bag like adding Perdez, Ducks or both. Ah, but don't forget pigeons too. But as noted above the time of the year is important.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can add another suggestion; Santa Cruz Bolivia.

I have been to Las Palomas Lodge (Google Bolivian Adventures) three times. (Argentina twice)

Easy travel via 6.5 hr flight from Miami with no change of planes.

Easy arrival through Bolivian Customs ( guns cleared in 10 min )

Four days of shooting both pigeons and dove.

Lodge facilities, food and service were wonderful.

FWIW I'm going back in April.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have hunted 6 time with Luis Seria, each hunt has been great. My last trip, 3 days dove and 3 day duck had a total cost of roughly 7000 including air and shells. Doing just dove should cost about 3000. Luis provides the first 1000 shells as part of his program and has several lodges around the country. I carried my own gun but today they have made it expensive and a real hassel in the airports in Chile and Argentina. The rent a 390 looks better all the time. Seria refuses to hook up with some of the big outfits because he says all they do is add 30%!?His web site provide better info. I think it is Seria Safaries.com

bill

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the replies so far. Stan, I will call you.

I see Bolivian Adventures online but they didn't show any pricing?

I don't see Luis Seria's operation in a search yet. Are you saying that 3 days of dove hunting would run $3000? That's pretty high.

I'm definitely open to other locations but know that Argentina is tops for volume.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's siersafaris.com.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Argentina is great! Go! Some thoughts -

- I much prefer the mixed bag hunts. The rub is that Cordoba (which most associate with high-volume dove) does not generally offer duck hunting. While I have shot high-volume dove in Cordoba and it was great, I was more than happy with the volume of dove at other locations (500 shells in an afternoon) that also offered perdiz, pigeon, and ducks.

- In terms of pricing, count on ~ $1000/day. Dove hunts can appear cheaper, but if you shoot a lot, your ammo bill will more than make up for the savings compared to a duck hunt for example. Ammo is typically $10-$15/box. I'm not sure any of the outfitters are inherently much cheaper than others. "Tipping" will also add to the bill and is often not highlighted in the advertisements.

- Guns: Every trip before the last one, I traveled with multiple guns. This last one I rented guns from the estancia. I could go either way in the future, but would lean toward renting. If you are comfortable with the fit of Beretta/Benelli O/Us and autos, I'd save myself the hassle and rent. If you are hunting ducks, you will already have a lot of gear with you. Slogging through customs with an extra gun case or two can be a real pain. Many of the estancias offer a range of rental options including sub gauges.

Happy to talk more offline.

Ken

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Stan. That domain has been sold and isn't active right now.

Ken, good points on pricing mixed bag vs pure dove. The shells have to be factored in. I know I would like to do a high-volume dove trip but it is appealing to consider a large bag of ducks. A large part of the appeal to me on a dove trip is working on so many shot angles/presentations and getting to do it hundreds/thousands of times on live targets.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.