April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (ithaca1, Marks_21), 230 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,442
Posts544,771
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#503893 02/03/18 12:38 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Working on some twist, and getting to the rust conversion stages, and there is a copper (rust) colored tint at the breech end. Not had this happen before. Assuming I didnt card well enough on a prior step, but wondered if others have experienced this and what others have done to deal with it. I would prefer not to start over if I can help it. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the past I had a set of barrels that had a similar thing happen. It turned out that I had used a brass brush while cleaning them up.
The brass somehow transferred to the barrels and did not show up until the rusting process.
I was wondering if you might have done the same thing.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks. No brass brush was involved. I must have missed something when carding. Havent found any other explanation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many slow rust bluing solutions contain copper sulphate which can plate out a thin wash of copper under some conditions. Laurel Mountain is one of the commercial solutions that contain copper sulphate, as do many of the recipes found in Angier's book.

This problem of copper plating out during rusting seems to happen more if the barrels are very warm during application of the rusting solution. I've also had a very thin wash of copper plate out on steel when acid pickling in hydrochloric acid that got contaminated with copper.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use Laurel Mtn a lot and as Keith points out if the bbls are warm,,then the copper from the coppersulfate kn the soln 'plates out' for lack of a better term.
Other commercial solns use coppersulfate too I imagine, many of the home brews called for it.

You will also get the same plating w/the L/M if when applying you rub a spot back and forth to apply the soln even ever so gently.
This appears even if the bbls are cold and is a separate occurance from the above warm surface thing.

Once over and that's it. Go slow enough to make sure you cover everything the first pass. Don't worry if there's a small area not covered or one pass slightly misses the one next to it.
It'll cover up in the next cycle.

Scotchbrite any copper plated areas down to bare metal and blend the polish to the original. No need to remove all the rest of the bluing if it looks OK.
Re-coat and keep going. The repaired area will catch up in color within a couple coats.
Throw that piece of Scotchbrite you used to polish that damaged area away. You don't want to use it somewhere and drag copper back onto the surface again.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you keith and Kutter.

Heat was not factor, but I may have been less careful about my passes. Glad I don't have to completely start over.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.