April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (WJW), 1,065 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Note that in the 1912 ad it is listed as 3-in-One but the label on the bottle reads Three In One. That bottle looks identical to my small one. Note also in so far as I am aware of Three In One was the original "CLP".

It got a bad rep when the company sold & the new owner reformulated it, I "Think" this was probably in the 1940's. Shortly problems of gumming began to appear From detection to the cure occupied about 2 years, but they never over came the bad rep. It can be extremely hard to Un-convince people of what they "Think They Know".

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

The smell of 3-IN-ONE reminds me of my Daisy BB Gun, Zebco 303, Barlow knives, and my rural happy boyhood.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My recollection is that Parker originally recommended 3-In-1 for their guns, and L.C. Smith recommended Singer sewing machine oil for theirs. Walt Schiessl ("The L C Smith Man") told me about 15-18 years ago that the current Singer oil had stuff in it the the original did not contain, and would still be OK.

Sidelock
Sidelock

2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Drew;
Good links, thanks. In the 1896 ad the company is listed as G W Cole Co as is on one of my bottles. In the 1915 ad it is listed as the 3-in-ONE OIL CO, but is still shown in the cork stoppered Glass Bottle. My other bottle as mentioned has THREE IN ONE CO with no numerals & no hyphens.

Miller/TN
2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I finally got some pics made, but do not currently have a host site. "IF" someone would post them for me I can E-Mail them to you. Threw in a couple of old Micrometers to boot, a Lufkin & a J T Slocomb.

Miller/TN
2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Brought this back to the top. have finally learned how to post pictures.
A few views of the bottles & then the micrometers.

Miller/TN
2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You can click on the images & enlarge them. The J T Slocomb Co (bottom mic) was a highly regarded tool company noted particularly for their unique design of micrometer. They were located in Providence RI, the same town as Browne & Sharpe, but no connection. This one carries patent dates of May 12 - 96 & April 13 - 97. These dates were marked for some years so do not date it other than the design, but may well date to pre WWI.

The Lufkin I acquired in abused condition. It had apparently been locked up at some point as it has plier marks in the thimble knurling. Fortunately, all the damage was external & of a cosmetic nature. It was still extremely hard to turn when I got it, priced accordingly. As everything on it was steel I soaked it in acetone & managed to get it apart & cleaned up. I then decided to do an experiment on it. As I put it back together I oiled it with 3-in-one. That was more than 20 years ago. It has been oiled with nothing else since.

I acquired the Slocomb about the same time, but in better condition I just cleaned & oiled it, using Starrett Tool & Instrument oil.

I use both of these fairly often, though not on a daily basis as used my standby micrometers while still employed. Both have that "Sweet" feel of precision that only a machinist can fully appreciate. Right now today I would not be afraid to use either on any job which had no less than 0005" tolerance. About the only micrometer, I ever owned I would guarantee closer than that was a C E Johanson.

I have measured a lot of gun parts with a one inch micrometer & oiled a lot of guns in the past with 3-in-one so do not feel this off topic.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

The stuff still gums up. I have a can probably 20years old sitting near my lathe. The drippings on the rim of the can have solidified into a thick, gummy goo. No thankee!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
The stuff still gums up. I have a can probably 20years old sitting near my lathe. The drippings on the rim of the can have solidified into a thick, gummy goo. No thankee!

One of my other pastimes, is riding English three speed bicycles, and I belong to a local English Bicycle club. A Sturmey Archer hub will run for a million miles, UNLESS it is lubricated with 3 in 1 oil in the can with the red label. Mr. Wood has it exactly right- the vegetable component in it causes it to gum up. This is well known to the English, not so well known, here.
There is a 3 in 1 oil that comes in a can with a blue label, that has a crude picture of a V8 engine on it. This stuff can be used in devices sensitive to oil that gums up, guns and bicycles being examples.
My S5 Sturmey hub was rebuilt by me about 10,000 miles ago, with hybrid lubrication per the bikesmith website-soap based synthetic grease on the bearings, and packed into the labyrinth seals, and a 50/50 blend of 10W30 synthetic oil and ATF used through the port, about three drops in the spring of the year. The grease and the oil dont mix, being chemically different, and the oil stays put. My son has an AW hub built the same way, and despite his reputation as a power cyclist in the club, a bit of a no-no with an AW three speed hub, it has held up in the same fashion for about the same mileage.

Best,
Ted

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.