April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Karl Graebner, Lloyd3, AWOLF, graybeardtmm3, Argo44, 1 invisible), 831 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,840
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

The first SxS I ever shot was/is still a Fox A grade my great grandfather bought new in 1909. That gun wont ever be sold.

First SxS I ever bought was a very nice high grade Pieper boxlock. My gunsmith offered it to me. Great deal and a great gun but it went down the road last year when I bought my Lindner.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

A Remington 1900 12 gauge that was rode hard with the stock broken at the wrist, stapled and heavily wrapped with electrical tape. A fellow owed my dad some $$ for letting him graze some horses on our property. He wasn't able to pay the $25.00 or so agreed upon price, so he gave my dad the 1900.

I shared a Winchester model 37 16 ga with my older brother at the time, so I gave my dad all sorts of reasons why he should give the 1900 to me. I think he initially had a fear the gun was unsafe, but we eventually shot some rounds through it and deemed it safe to shoot.

He did give it to me eventually and I used it for everything from ground squirrels to ducks. I shot my first wild pheasant with that gun. I built a new buttstock for it from an uninspired black walnut blank, replaced a few broken parts, rust blued the barrels and still use it occasionally for old times sake. I think I was about 1967-68 when he gave it to me.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

I got my first SxS in 1968 when I was 20 years old. It was a well-used Meriden 12 gauge with auto ejectors. Meriden was a Sears house brand from the early 1900s.

I paid $35 for it and I hunted with it for about five years. I have nicer guns today, but I've kept it for sentimental reasons.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The first side-by-side I ever used was a J. Stevens Springfield 16 Gauge which belonged to my father. It was the only shotgun he ever owned. I still have it and shoot it occasionally. He started me with a Stevens 20 Gauge with the exposed hammer, a gun I wish I still had. My first side-by-side was a used Bernardelli Gamecock 20 Gauge with 25 inch barrels that my parents and now ex-wife bought me as a law school graduation present. They got it from Paul Jaegers shop in Jenkintown, PA. For a while it shoot skeet, hunted birds and rabbits, and got carried with slugs in deer season. Still have and use that one, too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Parker DH with Acme replacement Bbls.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lawrence Kotchek
A Dickson Falcon (Ugaratecha Spelling?) 60's Spanish import off a pawnshop gun rack. It was labeled as a 16 gauge, it had some pretty engraving, when I went to shoot it the box of ammo I bought didn't fit right - it was a 12 gauge. At the time that was better for me so no big deal.
I had no clue on shotguns at the time, I was into handguns mostly 1911's.
30 years later I rarely touch a gun other than a shotgun 16 to 10 gauge.
A friend of mine has that gun now.

Like this one? A 12 gauge Falcon, also:

You got a ton for your money with those guns. 3" proof (however, at 6 lbs and small change it will be a cold day in hell before I cut a 3" round loose in this gun-my 3" 20 gauge weighs more) hidden third fastener, disc set strikers, and that nice, long, open pistol grip that is so easy to get used to, and bend over if you need to, like I did. I polished the gold off the triggers, and replaced the spiffy white line pad with an Old English looking thing.
Much better.
The chokes were stupid tight also, it is more like cyl and icyl, now.
All my shooting is rough shooting, sometimes in the company of unruly labs or shorthairs, the shorthair males all seem like they need to be retrained if you break for lunch. The labs are peeing machines. Crossing a unkept beaver dam seems to be an every other year experience, as does falling through ice.
The Uggy fits the bill in a lot of those places and with mentioned company. I actually have spare strikers and a few tools for this one, works as my traveler as well. I wouldn't be heartbroken if it was damaged or lost.
Not all my guns fit that bill.

No hurry to sell this one.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

A Stevens Model 311 that my dad bought for me to go deer hunting with my Uncle and his kids in 1974. That thing must of weighed 15 pounds. I hated that thing while bird hunting. Half way through the day I normally had it unloaded and slung over my shoulder.

A friend's Chevy pick-up truck rolled over it and busted it up good. I was never so glad to see a shotgun get wasted. Took it to a gunsmith and he said he wouldn't work on it but he would buy it off of me for spare parts.

I bought a 16 gauge Nitro Special from a guy at a bar a few months later in around 84. Still have it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

1965 I bought this in a pawn shop in Stevens Point, WI, I think I paid $15. for it. I killed a lot of game with it. I knew nothing of Damascus and ran a bunch of JC Higgins 1 1/4oz 16ga rounds through it. It looks like it is a set of 16ga MZL barrels grafted to a 12ga frame. It still hangs in my BinL's living room with a bunch of other antiques I collected over the years.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

[img:center]https://ibb.co/j4D7Qn[/img]

A Richland Arms, Zabala, 20, with 25 bbls., that my Grandad gave me for my 16th birthday. Weighs a whole 6 pounds!! Still have it, but it is a frequent loaner still. Although an import spanish gun, it had chopper lump barrels, very finely struck, disc set strikers and ejectors that send empties into the next zip code! This pic from a Chukar hunt a few years ago.

I love the look Hobbs, my Vizsla, gives me following my second miss in a row.
Sidelock
Sidelock

JABC in 1945. My Dad bought it for me when he came home from the war, paid $25. It was a svelte, reliable gun, handled almost as well as any I've owned.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.