April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hal M Hare, 12boreman, Steve Nash, eeb, 1 invisible), 976 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,109
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#504878 02/13/18 12:43 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Picked out a couple of guns for a wipedown tonight, and one is a graded 12 bore Baker hammerless, with beautiful Damascas tubes....I looked down the bores, and discovered what I thought was a scratch, straight down the length of the left barrel, from the forcing cone to about 3 shy of the muzzle. i assumed it was a leave behind from tha last bore swab, so I ran a bore snake thru it about a dozen times....it looks to me like a crack, almost perfectly straight, that appears to be right on top of the bottom rib edge.

Anyone else seen a failure like this?.

I love the look Hobbs, my Vizsla, gives me following my second miss in a row.
huntermn #504880 02/13/18 01:00 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Assuming 28" barrels, you are talking about a crack that would be around 22" long. It just seems highly unlikely that you could get a crack that long in pattern welded barrels without having it actually visibly open up somewhere along the way where pressures were higher. I've checked for cracks in engine blocks and heads using the poor man's Magna Flux method of wetting the suspect area with gasoline. The gas evaporates quickly on an unbroken surface, but remains wet longer where it seeps into a tiny crack. But being so close to the rib makes it likely that you would just find open areas in the solder joint. However, you might be able to plug one end of the barrel and fill it with gasoline (safely- outdoors of course!) and look for any seepage to the outside. Gasoline has a much lower viscosity than water, so it will seep through a very small hole or crack easier.

A safer way might be to plug and pressurize the suspect barrel and submerge it in water to see if any bubbles emerge from where you think you see a crack.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

huntermn #504895 02/13/18 07:45 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Plug it with a piece of alka seltzer tablet inside. you'll see bubbles before it pops the cork if there is a crack.

huntermn #504896 02/13/18 07:50 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an old L C Smith damascus barrel that has numerous cracks, but none of them run straight down the tubes, like you described. They are more random, and none go through the wall to the outside. I would think it highly unlikely it cracked like that, but I'd never say never.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 02/13/18 07:52 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
huntermn #504923 02/13/18 11:24 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

A straight crack in pattern welded barrels is quite unusual; the failure is usually along a weld line. It could be an impending 'split' in a thin wall

This is most certainly a circumstance in which Magnetic Particle Imaging would be helpful, if not definitive
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZIo0y746UsSRZIgRuuxwAbZjSBHitO_EanvwLYc-kGA/edit

Texas is loaded with NDT facilities serving the aerospace and petroleum industry. If you get the barrel tested PLEASE PLEASE take full size high resolution images and send them to me as jpg attachments at revdoc2@cox.net
OR ship the barrels to me (at your expense) and I'll have them tested (at my expense)
I will of course provide an attribution unless you would rather not

huntermn #504926 02/13/18 12:15 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Possibly a scratch caused by a foreign object [probably tiny] being pushed down the bore with a cleaning rod. A long, straight crack from the thickest part of the barrels to the choke beginning seems unlikely.

huntermn #504929 02/13/18 01:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many years ago I purchased a 12 gauge twist barrel H grade Lefever. 14" from the breech the left barrel had a crack in it. The crack followed a weld line, thus spirally. Appearance was that it had likely been hit on some sharp cornered object causing the break & subsequently fired.

One side was pushed inward while the other side was flared outward, leaving a large enough gap you could look through it & see the opposite inner bore wall. Bore was very badly pitted. I put my expanding dent plug under it & closed up the gap until it was very hard to see. After taping up the badly broken stock I placed it in "Ye Old Firestone Proof Chamber" & proceeded to fire it.

Firing was done remotely from behind a "Large" tree. I began with several factory Shur Shot loads of 3 1/4 DE 1 1/8 oz shot. I then went to several Factory Express 3 3/4 DE-1 1/4 oz loads. This was followed by a couple of ! 3/8 oz handloads. None of these opened that crack at all, nor even left a sooty smear on the outside of the barrel.

Unless one knew it was there & where to look it is "Extremely Doubtful" one would see it at all if looking this old gun over. Either the Gasoline, Alka-Seltzer or Magna-Flux tests would of course reveal it.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
huntermn #504941 02/13/18 03:08 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

huntermn #504943 02/13/18 03:59 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

DUH!!! Cannot believe that I didn't try and ring the barrels first thing.....like bells! both tubes sounding identical, and that is on a gun with a forearm lug repair! I brought the barrels with me to the office today, and after ringing them, took a dental scaler and was able to scrape whatever this is, (definitely metallic) off of the surface of the tube....SO I got my cordless drill, a rod and jag, a frontier pad and some ballistol, (everyone has those in his or her office right) and went to work. The crack is gone!!!! AMAZING!! I still cannot believe that the bore snake, and it was a fresh one, with an aggressive brass brush on it, did not phase this thing!

SO my most sincere and humble apologies my sensationalism!!! But, I am so happy this gun was not ruined, it is an early gun ser. # 2254.

Thanks for all of the input, especially those that doubted a crack!

I love the look Hobbs, my Vizsla, gives me following my second miss in a row.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.