Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
Those cracks behind the tang should definitely be repaired and the wood behind the tang relieved prior to shooting. With the grain structure seen and the slender wrist the cracks are a real liability.

Only if he shoots it. Will you be shooting it? I hope so. It's a darn nice rifle.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Those cracks behind the tang should definitely be repaired and the wood behind the tang relieved prior to shooting. With the grain structure seen and the slender wrist the cracks are a real liability.

Ok, Steven. Thank you for the advice.

When I have the new recoil pad installed (the original one was in horrible shape and stone ugly), I'll have the cracks repaired and the area of wood behind the tang relieved.

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
NRA LE Firearms Instructor
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD

Only if he shoots it. Will you be shooting it? I hope so. It's a darn nice rifle.

Oh, yes! I won't own a firearm I can't shoot.

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

Trooper, Checkering and cheek piece look spot on for a Robert Milhoen 1903. There is an example of his work on Gunbroker in 1903 Springfield catagory. Maybe someone here can post the link.
Nice rifle!!!! Dan.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This was easy Milhoen/Milhoan

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you, Dan and Thaine! Well, the work, particularly the checkering, does look similar. Thanks for the info and the link!

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't believe how quickly you fellows jump to conclusions in attributing a rifle to a maker from a few photos. The checkering and cheekpiece only look vaguely similar to each other. Yet many singular and definitive characteristics are very different between the two rifles. The shaping behind the grip, grip cap angle and quarter rib or lack of.

As for the checkering; bordered rather than borderless, very different petal shaping, straight back line of the forend vs rounded. How it follows and defines, or doesn't define the rear line of the grip.

The cheekpieces don't look anything alike to me: one with a shadow line the other with elaborate curves at both ends.

I see this all the time on this board and mainly disagree. Until you have a variety or examples of signed or period attributed work to define a particular maker's characteristics I don't think it is wise to jump at similarities.
The rifle in the GI ad and the rifle in the book do look alike, but not much like this one....
That is my opinion.

Last edited by SDH-MT; 02/28/18 04:51 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Opinions are like you know what. Everyone has one. In my own opinion Xtrooper's stock work looks a bit better than the Milhoan on GB. They both have nice checkering, but the cheekpiece on the Milhoan is ugly to me, and Xtrooper's is nice.

Last edited by Vall; 02/28/18 07:44 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven, don't shoot the messenger! LOL I just supplied the link since I had been following the rifle on GB. I agree with you similarities but nothing that really looks enough to be the same.

Vall's right in my humble opinion. The cheekpiece on the GB rifle would take some getting use to.

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Thaine
Steven, don't shoot the messenger! LOL I just supplied the link since I had been following the rifle on GB. I agree with you similarities but nothing that really looks enough to be the same.

Vall's right in my humble opinion. The cheekpiece on the GB rifle would take some getting use to.

Hahaha No worries, amigo and, for what it's worth, I totally agree with your assessment.

Steve
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.