March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jtplumb, CJF, ChiefAmungum, Lloyd3, battle, 1 invisible), 300 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,981
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven, You are correct, the speculation on this forum does run rampant at times. Thanks for pointing out the issue, I will no longer speculate.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Vall
Opinions are like you know what. Everyone has one. In my own opinion Xtrooper's stock work looks a bit better than the Milhoan on GB. They both have nice checkering, but the cheekpiece on the Milhoan is ugly to me, and Xtrooper's is nice.

Thanks, Vall.

I have to agree, particularly regarding that unconventional cheekpiece. To each his own, but that thing definitely doesn't work for me.

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
NRA LE Firearms Instructor
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to agree that there are some substantial differences, though I though the "petals" (in the checkering?) look fairly unusual, but similar. The nose of the comb looks the most different to me however.

I wonder however, wouldn't most stockers have several styles of cheekpieces and grips and so forth to offer? Many quality factory rifles could be had with different options that may or or may not include things like shadow lines for instance, depending on customer preference.

Also, just for my education is that Milhoen wearing a rather large opening bid price tag? I would think it might sell for half of what he is asking to open. Maybe I'm just ignorant (thus the question).

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Newton 1131
Steven, You are correct, the speculation on this forum does run rampant at times. Thanks for pointing out the issue, I will no longer speculate.

In any case, that is an interesting rifle you pointed out to me. I appreciate it because I would have never seen it nor known anything about Robert Milhoen who deserves recognition as one of America's great gunmakers of the past.

Steve
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
I have to agree that there are some substantial differences, though I though the "petals" (in the checkering?) look fairly unusual, but similar. The nose of the comb looks the most different to me however.

I wonder however, wouldn't most stockers have several styles of cheekpieces and grips and so forth to offer? Many quality factory rifles could be had with different options that may or or may not include things like shadow lines for instance, depending on customer preference.

Also, just for my education is that Milhoen wearing a rather large opening bid price tag? I would think it might sell for half of what he is asking to open. Maybe I'm just ignorant (thus the question).

I have absolutely no idea what the value of my rifle might be, but the price tag on the Milhoen rifle almost made me choke! laugh

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Xtrooper, That's that I thought about the Milhoen too. Yours is a much nicer rifle in my opinion.

I do wonder if they might have the same checkerer though.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Xtrooper, That's that I thought about the Milhoen too. Yours is a much nicer rifle in my opinion.

I do wonder if they might have the same checkerer though.

I really wish I could speak with my friend's recently departed father now and ask him about this rifle. I'm afraid its history is now irretrievably lost.

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would think that's indeed possible. But when I look at certain maker's examples it seems they didn't stray much from a certain pattern they are known for. My guess is that if you went to a stock maker known for a certain style and he gave you something different, you wouldn't be too happy back then. Even today people seek out gunsmiths known for a certain style, and wont be happy if they don't get it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Newton 1131

It is great to show similarities, new or previously under-exposed makers and any vintage gun that can be accurately attributed to a specific maker. I'm just not a fan of jumping to conclusion from an individual example.

The info on Milhoen from Sharps book is certainly relevant and enlightening.

Last edited by SDH-MT; 03/01/18 06:23 PM. Reason: edit
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven I agree with you 100%. I had to wait to post this. Ebay/312066975012
Here is a perfect example. I think this stock has enough similarities that this forum can put a maker to it. Dan:

Last edited by Newton 1131; 03/05/18 01:32 AM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.