April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Argo44, GeorgeGibbs505, graybeardtmm3, KDGJ, 2 invisible), 1,058 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

In my experience of auctions and auctioneers, it all boils down to this. Auctioneers always want to have the reserve or guide price to be at a come and buy me level, otherwise they feel that they have gone to some trouble advertising and may be some printing costs too. If during the auction the item does not meet the reserve they have the lesson that they have done work for nothing and who would want that?
I was also coming to the age to down size my collection two years back so I sold my guns individually over the proceeding months. Though I have kept one London first liner and a couple of Birmingham offerings plus a gun that belonged to a n old friend. So when I slip of this mortal coil not a large number to dispose of.
George I do hope things go well for you.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: George L.
I have reached the age where I need to start disposing of things. Specifically my double gun and historical collection. I have tried a local auctioneer with only a little success. I contacted James Julia who sent people from Poulin's Auction. They "lowballed" everything. I am only looking for a fair estimate and pricing. I would prefer to sell to individual collectors and sportsmen and sportswomen. I am looking for advice. What I have can be seen on my website at www.mylandco.com Select "Sporting, Guns, etc." Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards, George

I will take field grade to mid grade 16ga Darne made after 1964 if you have one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

George I have in the past few years sold or given about 50 sxs away. I have donated quite a few to organizations like RGS, DU for raffles at some events. I have given all nieces and nephews
That shoot or wanted one. The guns I sold I do not regret taking a small loss to give someone a good deal. A couple of months ago I gave a nice parker that had been restocked and refinished to my buddies grand nephew at a duck hunt. A great kid that was over the moon happy. I grew up poor and wish that someone had done something like that for me. Try giving a few to worthy
Causes and young folks . It takes a lot of pressure off you and you get to feel pretty good. Don't pass away with a pile of stuff
That meant something to you and someone has to get rid of. Think how good it will feel to know that a gun dealer will not be making money off your junk. Remember the sad day David passed and someone had to sell off all his guns.

Last edited by GMCS; 03/01/18 09:40 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

gunbroker.com

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Originally Posted By: George L.
I have reached the age where I need to start disposing of things. Specifically my double gun and historical collection. I have tried a local auctioneer with only a little success. I contacted James Julia who sent people from Poulin's Auction. They "lowballed" everything. I am only looking for a fair estimate and pricing. I would prefer to sell to individual collectors and sportsmen and sportswomen. I am looking for advice. What I have can be seen on my website at www.mylandco.com Select "Sporting, Guns, etc." Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards, George

I will take field grade to mid grade 16ga Darne made after 1964 if you have one.

I have one. Send me a check for 10k and its yours, Jan Lewan.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Le Fusil makes a good point. No one wants overpriced and worn out guns in a depressed market. End of story. I have no idea how I am going to get rid of my guns, but it isn't going to be the way George is trying to get rid of his.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It looks like I'm in the minority, but putting all the guns in one spot for us all to see isn't a bad idea. Probably won't sell them as fast as on Gunbroker or Gunsinternational. He should probably send Dave a couple $10 checks though lol

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

George, Ed good is right. Put them on Gun Broker. Will take some time and you will probably have to lower your "hoped for" price a few times but they will sell eventually. You will still be further ahead than dealing with an auction house after buyer and seller fees. Trying to sell them on this forum is a complete waste of time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Selling a collection on gunbroker is not a realistic option. On the 2300 plus side by sides listed with no reserve only 72 have any bids on them. On the guns with reserves there will be almost zero which make reserve. Numbers tell you that unless you are willing to risk a loss there is almost no chance to move a single gun much less an entire collection.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Trying to sell them on this forum is a complete waste of time.

Not necessarily. Over the last twenty or so years, I have acquired at least eight guns and a set of barrels from this forum. So some sellers must be doing something right. A decent gun at the right price will move.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.