May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (MattH), 203 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,530
Posts545,882
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#507297 03/04/18 09:29 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I bought the Husqvarna 103 listed here for sale. New to these and would appreciate any pointers to info about them. Seems like a good choice for a first hammer gun, and would like to learn some about them.

Were these guns ever covered in a DGJ issue?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Frederick Frazen covered many of the Husqvarna shotguns in one article in the 1993-1994 timeframe.
Don't quite remember which issue but I will try to find it tomorrow evening.

Matt
aka Iowa_303
Sidelock
Sidelock

103s are wonderful guns. Very well made for the price. I currently have a 12 ga 103A gun. The letter after the 103 designates the grade of the gun and indicates better wood and more engraving. If the gun also has a S after the A,B,C then that indicates special nickel steel barrels. The barrels will be stamped as such (on the top) and the barrel flats will be marked with a swastika which is an old symbol for good luck, as I understand. There was a site that had good info on the Huskys but last time I checked the site was down.

Your gun should have originally had 2 1/2" chambers & I would not recommend shooting 2 3/4" shells due to the steep/sharp transition from the chambers to the forcing cones.

If I remember correctly the Double Gun Journal mentioned above is vol.9
issue 3.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Many of the 103s that are hitting the market have been imported by Simpson's over the past decade or so. Some of them may have had their chambers lengthened or forcing cones opened up a bit by their original owners in Sweden. I haven't measured the chamber length yet on my 103A but the forcing cone is much more gradual than my 51, which is very abrupt.

The only site that I've found that has any info on the 103s is this one, with very little info and much of it not seeming to be correct: http://www.shotguns.se/html/hammer_guns_2.html

This site - http://www.skydevaaben.com/allhvamodels/info.xml - used to have a fair number of details of Husqvarna models, but it went down last fall. I managed to save an HTML version of the page as it was cached by Google before it went down. Supposedly it is a verbatim list of all Husqvarna models as published in the Husqvarna museum book. According to it, the 103s were manufactured from 1911-1940 and all but the base 103 model were available with either 65mm or 70mm chambers, I'm assuming the 70mm becoming available after the 165,900 serial number.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Found the DGJ article by Fredrik Franzen on Husqvarna shotguns.
Autumn 1992, volume 3, issue 3, page 24.
I did a quick glance at the article but did not see the model 103 but there is a photo of a 102.

Matt
aka Iowa_303
Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Mike Covington
103s are wonderful guns. Very well made for the price. I currently have a 12 ga 103A gun. The letter after the 103 designates the grade of the gun and indicates better wood and more engraving. If the gun also has a S after the A,B,C then that indicates special nickel steel barrels. The barrels will be stamped as such (on the top) and the barrel flats will be marked with a swastika which is an old symbol for good luck, as I understand. There was a site that had good info on the Huskys but last time I checked the site was down.

Your gun should have originally had 2 1/2" chambers & I would not recommend shooting 2 3/4" shells due to the steep/sharp transition from the chambers to the forcing cones.

If I remember correctly the Double Gun Journal mentioned above is vol.9
issue 3.

Just FYI, I've posted the Husqvarna information from the Skydevaaben site here: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?967434-Looking-for-a-Link

MPE Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 103CS and the Husqvarna book. The 103 is a great gun. Does yours have any letters after the "103"? If you let me know the letters and gauge, I can tell you how many of that model were made. Also, I think I can look up the date of manufacture if you give me the serial number range. Mike Covington (above) sets it out pretty well.

Take care,
Mike
<><

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Mike. This one is a 103C, sn 87689. Its been through the ultrasonic and nice hot oil bath, the barrels are being reblued, and im trying to finish up the straight stock conversion. Mark, the seller here, found a nice trigger guard that has engraving that matches the rest of the gun.

MPE Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It looks like your 103C was built in 1914. The Husqvarna Book (Husqvarna Jaktvapen 1870-1977) shows they made 230 model 103C in 12 gauge. Lets see some pictures when it is finished. Congratulations on a fine gun. My 103CS is pretty much my favorite, especially for quail! Enjoy yours!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.