March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bladeswitcher
never mind . . . thought better of it.

Come now, you can speak your mind on here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

On my Sauer, when Abe Chaber repaired the cracking, he found that the inletting was not correctly done for the gun, regardless of whether minor cracks tend to occur in the wood behind scalloped boxlocks. The wood behind the scallops on my gun was unusually stressed by the recoil and metal slammed into the wood at a point where it should not have happened. Abe says would not have occurred if the inletting had been properly done. Abe is a very longtime stockmaker, so I take his comment seriously. After the War, good wood may have been in short supply. Good stockers may have also been in short supply. Getting a stock on the gun and getting the gun out of the factory door and sold may have been more important at that time after the War than maintaining pre-War stockmaking quality. The scalloped action is beautiful and the lock-up is silky smooth. Maybe the wonderful action was pre-War work-in-process. In any case, it is a very nice gun. Now that the stock has been repaired, the Sauer should have a long and useful life of shooting.

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Originally Posted By: bladeswitcher
never mind . . . thought better of it.

Come now, you can speak your mind on here.

Well, if you insist . . .

I thought it was rather ridiculous that you told the class that we could buy shells on sale at Walmart, especially after 992B volunteered that he had owned numerous other side by sides and posted photos of his patterning work. Do you really think he or anybody else needs to be told where to buy shells or what time of night they should go to Walmart? Seriously? Don't you think that's a bit presumptuous?

Last edited by bladeswitcher; 03/31/18 03:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I realize Walmart isn't popular because of what happened to small downtowns after they moved in. Now Amazon is helping us with Walmart. Once on the wagon once under a wagon.....that is how life rolls. Anyhow, I only get Pomi tomato juice and few pieces of fresh farmed Salmon when I go there. I'm not suggesting one should buy ammo at Walmart on regular basis, but it being present in many small towns it can serve as emergency supplier. One must think of the future no matter how it looks. Buying guns able to digest what is at Walmart isn't a bad plan for the future. We can change name to "ChinaMart" if it makes you feel better.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
I realize Walmart isn't popular because of what happened to small downtowns after they moved in. Now Amazon is helping us with Walmart. Once on the wagon once under a wagon.....that is how life rolls. Anyhow, I only get Pomi tomato juice and few pieces of fresh farmed Salmon when I go there. I'm not suggesting one should buy ammo at Walmart on regular basis, but it being present in many small towns it can serve as emergency supplier. One must think of the future no matter how it looks. Buying guns able to digest what is at Walmart isn't a bad plan for the future. We can change name to "ChinaMart" if it makes you feel better.

Let me try to spell it out for you . . .

You have a reputation here as a poseur. My impression is that you are a person who likes to read about shotguns and offer your opinions but those opinions are not really grounded in actual experience. You come across as an internet expert and not an actual expert.

I happen to know the fella who started this thread. He's one of the best shotgun shooters I know. He owns dozens of shotguns and reloads for all gauges. He doesn't need to be told where to buy shells -- whether he's directed to Walmart or the factory itself.

Sometimes people would be better served by holding their peace and just learn by reading and listening. This seemed like one of those times.

Last edited by bladeswitcher; 03/31/18 04:24 PM.
992B Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RichardBrewster
On my Sauer, when Abe Chaber repaired the cracking, he found that the inletting was not correctly done for the gun, regardless of whether minor cracks tend to occur in the wood behind scalloped boxlocks. The wood behind the scallops on my gun was unusually stressed by the recoil and metal slammed into the wood at a point where it should not have happened. Abe says would not have occurred if the inletting had been properly done. Abe is a very longtime stockmaker, so I take his comment seriously. After the War, good wood may have been in short supply. Good stockers may have also been in short supply. Getting a stock on the gun and getting the gun out of the factory door and sold may have been more important at that time after the War than maintaining pre-War stockmaking quality. The scalloped action is beautiful and the lock-up is silky smooth. Maybe the wonderful action was pre-War work-in-process. In any case, it is a very nice gun. Now that the stock has been repaired, the Sauer should have a long and useful life of shooting.

Whoever did the repair, it was expertly done, and it's been glued so well that only a faint line remains were the cracks came in the middle and top pointed lines of the scallops. The heads of the stocks on these are thick, sturdy, and stout, anyway.

As overbuilt as these guns were, they ought to weight just over nine pounds, instead of just under seven.

I took a candle and smoked all the bolts and side clips, and all six make lockup. The head of the stock now contacts all the metal on the action, if it didn't before it was repaired.

In modern America, we have so many guns it takes a while for each of us to count them all.

These old shotguns were made to be the customer's only shotgun, for their entire lives, and it shows.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My first sxs was a relatively plain pre-WWII Sauer 16. The only serious issue it ever developed, over the 20 or so years I owned it, was that the link between the top lever and the Greener crossbolt broke. When my gunsmith friend took it apart to make the repair, he remarked that the inside looked as if those who made it paid very careful attention to their work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My first sxs is a 12 ga Q1 Simson, born 10/79, which I bought new in 1983 from the Rod & Gun Club while stationed in Germany. For many years, it was my only shotgun and it is still my go-to gun for heavier loads and targets. Except for a couple boxes of shells put through it by gunsmiths (I once had a broken hammer spring, and the floorplate screw loosens up every now and again), I've shot every round it's fired. I've taken a lot of game with it and broke a lot of targets. I couldn't be happier with it - a solid, well-made gun.

You did good buying your Sauer.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone else notice the similarity between the Sauers pictured above and a Husqvarna Model 310?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

My GDR Simson 16...

My Husky 310...

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.