March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (NZHunter, Dale May, SKB, 1 invisible), 294 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jon S Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Emails between Ken Georgi and me regarding dating lindner Dalys

Ken,

Help me out here. If Lindner wasn't allowed to use the crown after 1892, then all guns marked with the crown should be dated prior to 1892. Yes? LeRoy Mertz has #380 which has both the crown and crossed pistols also Builder on the BBS says his # 9xx has the crown over pistols. Unless his gun (9xx) is a hammergun from the late 1870's, it doesn't make sense. I own #922 and calculate that it is circa 1900-1901.

I understand that the second numbering scheme didn't start at #1...more likely 200+ but how can Lindner use the crown mark after 1892?

BTW, I'm going to take 8-10 Dalys plus some Smiths, Foxes and Parkers to sell at the Southern. I would appreciate it if you mention that to people who indicate they are attending the

Southern and are looking to spend too much for a gun.

Jon

Hey Jon,

From my observation, as a starting point, the “crown over crossed pistols” are pre-1892 and the “HAL over crossed pistols” are post-1892. That 1892 date appears to coincide with the serial number “renumbering” - i.e., starting the serial numbering over. The following exceptions to that general approach have been observed -

- There is a block of hammerless Dalys generally in the #1- “high 300” range where things get weird - i.e., don’t seem to follow that methodology.

- Within that niche range, several “abnormalities" have been observed. These include -

- Crown/pistols marked guns clearly made very early in the hammerless era. For example, my Daly #7 is a mid-to-late 1870 gun based on the features and the low (65) A&D patent use number.

- Later made hammerless Lindner Dalys - circa 1892 (plus or minus a year) - that are marked with the legacy crown/pistols despite being on the new serial numbering sequence

- Later made hammerless Lindner Dalys - circa 1892 (plus of minus a year) - that are marked with some combination of “HAL”, “crowns”, and “crossed pistols”, or all three.

My theory on these later two sub-bullets is that there was a group of Daly guns already in some form of production when the marks changed that needed to work their way through production. And depending on where they were in production, the markings varied. And because some Dalys took longer to produce than others (e.g., more highly embellished guns or custom orders), the exact sequencing of the marks is difficult to sort our based on the serial numbering. So add these transition period in with the block of very early hammerless guns and things get confusing.

In terms of Builders gun, assuming it is a hammerless, it would be REALLY unusual to have the crown over crossed pistol mark. Again, the last use of that mark I have recorded was in the 300/400 range. I’d love to see a photo to make sure it is not, for example, an old stock barrel on a newer gun. The Lindner barrel numbering would need to be consistent.

Does the above make sense?

Ken

>
>
>

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken61 & I hashed thru similar somewhere in this thread, and of course there are others:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=484334&page=1

But the change in the Lindner Quality Control Stamp(LQCS) is going to be the apex of the APUN - patent protection period; the new rules change & the origin point for export/import law. Suhl really didn't know where they were(didn't have an Identity) & they used I think 3 locales: Prussia, Saxony & Thuringia before they settled on one.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also, looking at the tubeset knitter initials might well bound an example. I would hazard a guess that RS is on most of the later offerings.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry to take this long but life is busy.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a ten gauge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope the pictures help answer some of the questions on this hammerless 10g.

Sidelock
Sidelock

2nd Series post 1893.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that is a crown over the crossed pistols. I thought 1892 was the last year for that.

Jon S Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

builder,
Look at your 4th photo which shows the barrels just ahead of the barrel flats. The marking directly above the crossed sidearms is a blurry "HAL". Nice gun....made 1900ish.

Kindest regards,
Jon

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just right off the top of my head & employing some Lindner-Daly Calculus, I'd hazard a guess it was made in the mid to late 1890s. Not that the pattern welded tubes passed the German preliminary proof twice for schrot. The tube knitter initials were J.W.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.