April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (12boreman, Der Ami, Gunning Bird, 4 invisible), 260 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,461
Posts545,007
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
992B Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rather than take over the thread on how to seal old doubles when restocking or refinishing, I've wondered for many years why the careful makers of fine old double guns didn't seal the insides of the wood at all where they were inlet to the stock or under the fore end iron, or at the end of the butt stock.

Maybe the really best guns did seal the hidden parts of the wood, but I've never seen an original old double gun, ever have any sealant or finish on the hidden insides of the wood, that I've ever taken apart.

Was it merely economy of manufacture?

Or was there some arguable reason they didn't?

Any information or opinions on this would be much appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know why old doubles were not sealed inside, or were they ? Or some of them with something not now so apparent.
I have a book in front of me called The Shotgun Stock, design construction & embellishment. Author= Robert Arthur. Printed in 1971.
Page 153 Chapter 20, under the heading Gunstock Finishes, I read this.

"The next step is sealing, the sufficient application of some moisture resisting agent to all surfaces of the stock, both inside & out. The finish itself, as well as the sealer, should be as waterproof as possible."
O.M

992B Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: moses
I don't know why old doubles were not sealed inside, or were they ? Or some of them with something not now so apparent.
I have a book in front of me called The Shotgun Stock, design construction & embellishment. Author= Robert Arthur. Printed in 1971.
Page 153 Chapter 20, under the heading Gunstock Finishes, I read this.

"The next step is sealing, the sufficient application of some moisture resisting agent to all surfaces of the stock, both inside & out. The finish itself, as well as the sealer, should be as waterproof as possible."
O.M

With all respect, by 1971 the only American doubles made were the Model 21 Winchester and the Stevens 311, and maybe the reissue of the L.C. Smith. I've never had any Model 21's apart, but every one of my pre 1913 L.C. Smiths and all the 311's had no sealant whatever under the lock plates, in front of the butt plate, or under the forend iron, that I could see, anyway.

By 1971 they had super glue to seal the stocks, and polyurethanes, even Tru Oil and Linspeed.

Even my modern Citori and Beretta over and unders, have no sealant in the hidden parts of the wood, nor does my BSS or any other modern double I've owned.

I'm not saying no factory double gun was ever sealed under the visible parts of the wood, but I've had a bunch apart and never seen any trace of sealant or finish of any kind there.

By 1971 the custom stock makers were sealing the insides of the wood, but even then, I don't think the factories were as a usual practice.

Why?

The only rational reason I can think of is that time has always been money, and since the customer wouldn't take the gun apart before he bought it, they left anything he couldn't see unfinished and unsealed.

But then again, when Parker and Fox and Ithaca and L.C. Smith were all head to head competing in the market place, you'd think one of them would have dabbed just a couple of coats of their finish on the inside of the wood, then advertised it.

So maybe, they thought the wood needed to breath inside?

It's always fascinated me, every time I've taken some old gun apart.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could be the makers all knew that their guns needed some kind of permeable wood surface to soak up the gallons of oil it's future owners would slather onto/into every metal surface?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

992B,
Out of curiosity I pulled the butt plates off a couple of my modern Merkels, sure enough no finish of any kind. I wonder why as well.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Could be the makers all knew that their guns needed some kind of permeable wood surface to soak up the gallons of oil it's future owners would slather onto/into every metal surface?...Geo

The only reasonable conclusion considering the pervasive evidence. That and the "Why Bother" factor of course

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's cheaper not to do it. Plain and simple.

Don't assign a higher motive when a lower one explains the situation.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Possibly they were

Thanks to M D Christian for the following:
"This was submitted to Handloader Magazine, Jul/Aug 1970 by Harvey A Donaldson who said it was told to him by Frank Lefever, son of D.M. Lefever. He stated this was the method used in finishing stocks by Dan Lefever and other U.S. gunmakers and gunsmiths including Billinghurst, Brockway, Morgan James, and A.O. Zischang."

1. Place the stock in a sheet iron tank with enough linseed oil to cover stock. Stock was left for a day or so depending upon density of the walnut, a harder denser grain wood requiring longer than a more porous grain wood. Next was to remove the stock & stand to drain & leave for several days at least. Very Important: let stock dry completely; this first coat must be completely oxidized by the air before proceeding.

The rest of the process is about 2/3 down here under "Maintenance and Restoration"
http://lcsca.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=274&club_id=43784&sl=858381813

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can only speak for the gunmakers pre WW1:
I think we are looking through the lens of people who are interested in preserving these guns for eternity.
This was not the gun makers aim in the C19th and early C20th: they needed re-orders and repairs to keep their men working, restocking and re-barrelling were not just a service to their clients, they were good earners.
We see the effect of 100+ years of oil soaking, they really didn't intend the stocks to go beyond the use of a single user/owner, perhaps 50 years, more likely replaced or 'handed down' by 10-25.
Getting a really special gun restocked or rebarrelled was not a big deal financially. Most of the owners of quality guns were wealthy, some very wealthy, and labour was cheap.
You only need to look at the significant number of modest boxlocks that have been rebarrelled to see the effect.
I suspect that the number of guns that we assume to have 'original' stocks is far smaller than generally thought.

Sidelock
Online Embarrased
Sidelock

I don't put finish on the "Pet and pest" side.

As in, the only thing that will ever see it is either a pet or a pest.

Out there doing it best I can.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.