May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (liverwort, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 271 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,507
Posts545,625
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Noce piece of wood on that one.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, I finally built up the nerve to test fire.

Winchester Extra Light 12ga, Winchester 170gn .30-30 (that's all I had).

Turns out I have either a broken firing pin or a weak spring on the left shotgun barrel/rear trigger (will not fire, just click, probably broken firing pin as there's no mark on the primer), and some pretty significant chamber erosion in the rifle barrel (shoulder excessively stretched and a ring at the base of the shoulder, maybe from too much pressure). My rifle firing pin always protrudes, too, and I've read something about a return spring there that tends to break, which has me wondering.

Hopefully some hand loads and creative spring hunting will make the .30-30 ok, but the left barrel problem is... a problem.

I guess I'll take it apart this Sunday and see what exactly is wrong. smirk Did I read something about someone in Florida having bought up all the parts for these things some time back? Are they still around?

Last edited by Mr. Polecat; 04/27/18 07:39 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, dont fret too much, I received my old gold #35 from the German gunSmith, (see my other thread) all three barrels fired, my reduced handload of the rifle (.25-25 Stevens) had high pressure signs, now my left shotgun barrel does not fire at all, no click, nothing, the rifle firing pin does come out but fails to fire the primer, its not the firing pin spring, the old girl is a little finicky, It could be a weak spring to the rifle hammer, but dont give up,shes easy to get into, and my German gunSmith (Tobi Nisse) is an expert now on Hollenbeck drillings, he will be visiting the USA again in July. The spring is easy to find, The wheeler screwdriver set I got from Midway has the special little tip that unscrews the firing pin screw. The width of my spring is 0.44 inches the height of mine is 0.84 inches but may be slightly short because it looks like a small piece broke off. Apparently you just Obtain a long spring of the proper width and cut it to size you want. I Have not found a source for Springs yet, because my second Hollenbeck number 236 (I got it from cherries Fine Guns) is missing the spring to the rifle firing pin, believe it or not. I actually got that second Hollenbeck in case I need to rob parts from it ,which I hope never to do. if you enter your Hollenbeck, take off the trigger guard first, then take the screws beginning towards the bottom of the stock and work toward the barrel, separate the action from the stock about an eighth of an inch, then slide out the trigger assembly, its really very easy. Interestingly the safety and the mechanics and other factors of the action are quite different from number 35 to number 236, no telling what changes were made by the time yours was built, nevertheless dont give up, there have to be a lot of us in the same boat, we can figure this out, Worst case,ship it to Mobile,AL and Tobi can fix it,since hes become the Hollenbeck gunsmith expert!! Also you might consider emailing Tobi directly,send him pictures and make your problem his problem, I do that regularly info@tobi-greener.de. Good luck!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is the peculiar .30-30 brass.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Polecat,
previously, cartridges that headspaced on a rim( or belt for that matter) often had the shoulder area too far forward in the chamber. Such chambers would still pass a "go" gauge and not a "no go". Your problem could likely be addressed by fireforming cases with a small load of "fast" powder like Unique, 1/4 sheet tp, grits as filler, and more tp to close it up. Once fireformed, set the loading dies to just "kiss" the shoulder. Then only use your handloads.FWIW in a drilling, you won't be limited to round nose or flat bullets.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well,I love the toilet paper, grits idea and will try that with my reduced load 2525 Stevens for my Hollenbeck drilling
Im so excited to find another use for grits ,and for those readers that dont know what grits are: search ode to grits by Roy Blount,Jr,he speaks the truth

Sidelock
Sidelock

ginge,
I also sometimes use worn out polishing media for fireforming and eat the grits. Some people that are not cultured enough to have any grits, use Cream of Wheat.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Id be curious the OD of the neck. That really looks out of proportion.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, everyone.

Yeah, the neck seems pretty large to me, too, but I've discovered that the battery is dead in my caliper and I haven't had a chance to go anywhere that sells stuff like that yet. smirk A .308 caliber bullet falls down inside the neck easily, but I 'spect that's to be expected as the same happens with the fired necks of some of my other brass from the other .30-30 too. It does seem a little looser though.

Someone elsewhere suggested that it could be reamed to .30-30 Ackley Improved, too, if there is a burr in the chamber that the brass is flowing into. Though if I can make it work as-is with fireformed brass, I certainly don't plan to load heavier and I imagine the AI calls for heavier loads, so eh....

I think I read somewhere that paper-patched lead bullets shoot well from barrels with eroded throats. Maybe that could be an option if the chamber is eroded over-size. The rifling looks a little weaker back near the breech, but it's certainly not gone or anything, so I dunno.

At this juncture, I think it may be beyond my redneck head-scratching, and time to suck it up and make the 3 hour drive to the nearest gunsmith that doesn't suck. Maybe I ought to just get hold of that fellow mentioned earlier, though he's about as far away as someone can be from me and still be in the same state, haha.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.