April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ted Schefelbein), 1,067 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#512263 04/23/18 11:57 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Lot #163 of the recent Gavin Gardiner auction is a good sample of gun built to Dig Hadoke's Theory. The gun is a BV1-OQ1 gun with replaced barrels and a replaced stock. CC7 is "Shootable but needs expensive repairs or restored with stock and barrels replaced." My charts show a BV1-OQ1-CC7 = $6196. The gun hammered at 8,000 BPS; 1.4 exchange rate makes it $11,200 and 30% buyers premium plus shipping makes it $14,800. It takes CC5 (Minor repairs needed or proper restoration accomplished - OE barrels and stock) to CC4 (heavy use but no abuse) to make that much money.

Input requested.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

DDA, regarding the offerings from the Little British Isles, I was always told that if you have the frame & forend iron one could do a total renovation & call it as new?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

With an airplane the only thing required by law to be original is the serial number plate. Every piece on the plane other than the small plate can be a replacement and it is still recognized by the FAA as being the factory airplane.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

DDA,

The new barrels are from the maker, in this case Purdey. The new stock is from someone else--the description doesn't specifically state to Purdey standards, but it looks well done. Can you find another Purdey with new barrels for $14K?

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

I feel the pain of the dealer who recently sold me a high condition 1911 bar in iron hammer Purdey pigeon gun, original Whitworth 30" barrels. Lucky for me he probably does not visit this site. Regardless of my good buy, I see many items on Gardner and Holt's that I would buy if I could take them home in the back of my truck, same day as the purchase.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
Lot #163 of the recent Gavin Gardiner auction is a good sample of gun built to Dig Hadoke's Theory. The gun is a BV1-OQ1 gun with replaced barrels and a replaced stock. CC7 is "Shootable but needs expensive repairs or restored with stock and barrels replaced." My charts show a BV1-OQ1-CC7 = $6196. The gun hammered at 8,000 BPS; 1.4 exchange rate makes it $11,200 and 30% buyers premium plus shipping makes it $14,800. It takes CC5 (Minor repairs needed or proper restoration accomplished - OE barrels and stock) to CC4 (heavy use but no abuse) to make that much money.

Input requested.

DDA

RM -- I find it a bit distressing that your formulae do not include a factor for 'magic'. when I pick up a gun and discover the wonderful handling and fit that lights me up. THAT is where the value is determined. For me at least.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
DDA, regarding the offerings from the Little British Isles, I was always told that if you have the frame & forend iron one could do a total renovation & call it as new?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Interesting take on this point. My market charts say the market doesn't agree with what you were told. On the other hand, I'm interested to see if there are some points that need refining.

DDA

KDGJ #512379 04/24/18 11:16 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KDGJ
DDA,

The new barrels are from the maker, in this case Purdey. The new stock is from someone else--the description doesn't specifically state to Purdey standards, but it looks well done. Can you find another Purdey with new barrels for $14K?

Ken

Jason Abbot's is well respected for being capable of very good work. I'm curious if "barrels by the maker" is different from "barrels by another." And the same for the stock. How much more for "stock by maker"?

DDA

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
I feel the pain of the dealer who recently sold me a high condition 1911 bar in iron hammer Purdey pigeon gun, original Whitworth 30" barrels. Lucky for me he probably does not visit this site. Regardless of my good buy, I see many items on Gardner and Holt's that I would buy if I could take them home in the back of my truck, same day as the purchase.

Yes, it is "very inconvenient" to pay buyer's premium, dealer fees, and shipping? Many is the unwary who has learned the hard way that hammer price is not what you pay in the end.

DDA

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chukarman

RM -- I find it a bit distressing that your formulae do not include a factor for 'magic'. when I pick up a gun and discover the wonderful handling and fit that lights me up. THAT is where the value is determined. For me at least.

Actually, C, I do believe in magic guns. Unfortunately it is factual that no one gun is magic for all shooters. Rather, guns seem quite selective upon whom they shower their magic. This leads me to the conclusion that the closer a given gun's stock dimensions, handling dimensions, feel dimensions, aesthetics, etc. fit the shooter the more likely the gun is to become magical.

DDA

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.