April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, j7l2, Ted Schefelbein, bushveld, 1 invisible), 370 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,793
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have just returned from an excellent day at the Scone Palace Game Fair, I bought Donald Dallas book Alexander Henry Rifle Maker after being advised by Donald himself that around 25% of its content was about Alexander Henry shotguns as we were on the Holts stand he was able to show me a very impressive Alexander Henry 28 bore damascus barrelled hammer shotgun which just oozed finesse. The gun will be in the next Holts sale and I was told it has good barrel measurements , the gun isnt mine nor do I know the owner but I thought it might make a good upland gun for some lucky person

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Wonderful, wonderful
Single or double barrel?
Any rifle proofs on the flat?
What grade of shotgun?

Last edited by skeettx; 07/01/18 04:23 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi skeettx Im not in the trade but I have looked through the Alexander Henry book over the last few minutes. No matches so far but it was an impressive piece and warranted mention from Donald. The external finish was excellent ,well browned Damascus barrels well figured stock and engraved lock plates. The gun shouldered well and from memory wasnt short in the stock perhaps 14.5 inches. I wouldnt be surprised if it was a best grade. Balance was superb ,to a layman anyway compared to a 12 bore it was akin to casting a lightweight 4 weight rod compared to a heavy 7 weight.Delightful

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I only handled the gun and didnt dismantle it so dont know if it had originally been a rifle and so proofed but my impression was that it was an original shotgun. I would have thought its rifle heritage had that been the case would have come up in the discussion but I cant be certain. It was double barrelled and swung like a lightweight shotgun rather than how I imagine a double barrelled rifle of 28 bore size would weigh and feel but as I say Im not in the trade so am no expert. It just seemed that the guns niche might lie on your side of the Atlantic rather than here hence the heads up

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds lovely. I will be looking forward to their forthcoming catalog.

Owen

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.