March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (12boreman, Borderbill, cpa, JDH, craigd, 1 invisible), 377 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,007
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

When you buy your .410 forget about getting a full choke, dont even think about it! I think that one reason so many people despise .410s is from their childhood experiences shooting a full-choked single barrel .410 as their first gun, thats a combination thatd make anyone hate the gun. In my opinion modified is as tight as youll ever need. For the .410s Ive owned its always been either open or skeet in my right barrel and IM or modified in my left barrel.

Steve

PS KY Jon posted his thread while I was posting mine. I can see we disagree on full chokes which is okay, whatever works best for him and we agree about the too-tight pattern close in. However, it's been my experience that a modified will consistently throw a good pattern out to 30 yards and give you better patterns closer in. However, after 30 yards forgetaboutit! BTW I have some photos of patterns I shot at 50', 75' and 90' however, if I posted the photo's people would go blind trying to see them (I should've circled the hits with a marking pen).

Last edited by Rockdoc; 07/18/18 10:40 AM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PALUNC

Been thinking for awhile on picking up a 410 for dove shooting and maybe some occasional clays.

I would be looking in the 2 - 3 K range.

I have shot a Model 42 with a full choke at doves before but wonder what others may think would be a better suggestion.
Interested in knowing what you guys have tried and is a proven winner.

Dance with who brung ya.... your Model 42 is one of the best for your purpose.

You might want to think about sinking your funds into an upgrade to a vent rib Model 42 Deluxe Gun (if it's a field grade)

I have one of the Miroku/Browning Model 42 clones - it's a sweet shooter, and not hard to look at, either. laugh

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless you're a long time pump-gunner, I would stay away from the little model 42, sweet as it is.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rockdoc, the difference between Mod and Full in a .410 is .005-.007 at best according to Briley who make most of the choke tubes today. Winchester were known for boring their guns slightly more open and Browning more tightly. If you measure factory 42 chokes they are all over the map. Perhaps because owners opened them up over the years, perhaps they started more open then we expect, I just dont know. I have several 42, both mod and full with chokes which differ by as little as .003. I know you pattern you guns to see real performances and so do I. And if you want to see peoples eyes glass over talk about ten patterns of each load. I think most of these shooters think being able to hit a sign, along the side of the road, is still a good way to check both POI and pattern.

As to starting a new shooter out with a .410 I am in agreement with those who feel any .410 for a new shooter will frustrate them too quickly regardless of the choke. Better to use a 20 or 28 with 3/4 ounce shot, to have a working pattern, for high number of breaks. Plus 20 ammo is cheaper than .410. I started out with a 28 and so did all my kids.

I do see a few old farts who seem to preach that the .410 is capable in all hunting situations. It clearly is not in my mind. It handicaps a good shooter, makes him work harder to remain as good as others using bigger bores. With a 12 gauge, in early season I probably could shoot my limit with 15 shells. Birds are easy until they get educated. I shoot .410 to make it last and to challenge myself to shoot better. If fact you need to restrain yourself to taking better shots with a .410 because it is not the equal of its bigger brothers. If you can do that with a Mod or Full choke gun more power to you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A second on the Dickenson Estate. Mine in .410 is a hoot to shoot. Adult dimensions really help here. Good ammo is also critical.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 07/18/18 11:41 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

" I shoot .410 to make it last and to challenge myself to shoot better".
Challenging oneself to shoot better is indeed a good point. My question though is of the misses with a .410 how many of them flew off with a shot or two from the weak fringe of a .410's pattern.

I have not done that much pattern testing with a .410 for I never had a desire to use one. I have however observed the pattern test which the Rifleman has posted over many years in trying new guns. The .410 patterns virtually always have strong central thickening with sparse fringes. This is directly opposite of my most desirable pattern. I fully realize it is impossible to obtain but if I could get it I would take a pattern with absolute uniformity over the entire pattern where every shot would result in either a clean kill or total miss.

I therefore do not hunt with a .410, period.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Also would like to know if you guys shoot the little 2 1/2" shells at doves or stick mainly to the 3" ones.
I have considered looking at the new SKB 410's as my club, Deep River Sporting handles the SKB guns.
I realize most American side by side 410's were made on the 20 gauge frame.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

I find my 2 1/2 ammo works great for close in doves.
First is an old small frame Browning Superposed with 410 barrels, skeet choked

Second is the Tristar Brittany, IC screw-ins, a Fausti, and a Crescent, all in 410.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My experience mirrors Jon's.

Here are some measurements I've taken. The "mod" 42s have between 0.005" and 0.007" constriction. The skeet guns range from 0.003" to 0.011" (yup). Full choke bbls have 0.016" to 0.020".

My repro came to me with Briley CTs. We don't shoot doves, but have an idea it would work just fine. Son and I use it for SC - mostly with the 0.014" IM. Repros are anything but whippy. Couple of repros took CH and RU at the ME state NSCA few years back. We sometimes use it in "Fluff" 12 ga events.

Field use in Maine translates as grouse/WC. I've used skeet/mod guns. In my hands, the full guns add nothing useful for those birds inside 25 yds. The 3" loadings are diverse; it pays to try different brands on the pattern board. For guns with less constriction try RP 3" #7.5s first.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Also would like to know if you guys shoot the little 2 1/2" shells at doves or stick mainly to the 3" ones.

I shoot 2-1/2" hard 8s, FullxMod, sometimes 7-1/2s if there is a breeze. Can't remember the last time I put a 3" shell in the gun.

FYI, my Uggie SxS from Aspen Outfitters is marked ICxMod but it mics at 11 and 17 thousandths. Seems like a good combo for doves. I never mic'd my other .410s, just put in the Full and Mod chokes and left them there.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.