April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (jake van dyke, 12boreman, fab500, Stanton Hillis, Southern Sport), 1,041 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
crs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Benelli ads are now featuring a racy new model.

Maybe Beretta marketing folk felt they had to respond in kind?

NRA Patron, TSRA, Whittington Center, DWWC,DRSS
Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Originally Posted By: 2-piper

"I mean, count how many there are compared to top lever guns at any time in history and figure out how wonderful they were. NOT!"
Count how many Crescent Arms or Stevens Doubles were made in comparison to Purdeys. What have you proved?? Sometimes its Lonely at the Top"

This was my reply to Wonko, which seems to have touched on this last round of controversy.

LARRY;
I am going to say it straight out & addressed to you directly. You had to try Intentionally & Extremely Hard to mis-interpret what I was saying. I was simply saying that sheer numbers do NOT in any way prove what is or isn't best.

Just because there are more A&D guns & more guns opened by Top Levers do not in anyway prove they are absolutely the best ever made, Period.

Aha. You confused me a bit, Miller, because the first sentence--the one in quotes--contradicts what follows. Although you did use quotation marks, nowhere in your post did you attribute it to Wonko (or anyone else). Always good, for clarity's sake, to make clear who it is you're quoting. As you did, above.

As for the top lever and A&D thing: In view of the fact that you have to look fairly hard (and mostly to France) to find ANY double, OU or SxS, that opens via any means other than a top lever--and given that top levers are used on "bests"--that would seem to indicate that it has been generally accepted as the best system. And given both the longevity of the A&D coupled with numbers produced, while there are certainly other actions that are at least as good (if not better), it's sufficient to prove to me that, like Fords vs Rolls, while the A&D may not be the best, it is an excellent combination of reliability coupled with a price that's well within reach of the majority of sxs buyers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now the brilliant ex-CIA Intelligence Analyst Larry Clown is telling us he couldn't see that Miller was responding to Dr. Wanker's post that was critical of the side lever opening system. It couldn't be any more evident, but we all know that Larry can never admit being wrong, even if it means showing us that he is stupid as well.

Larry's second paragraph above seems to be confusing "Best" guns with what are regarded as best systems for the masses... even though Miller took the time to explain that to him too. But what can you expect from someone who obviously does most of his shooting with a typewriter or keyboard.

With Larry as an Intelligence Analyst, and rocky mtn bill as a teacher, it's no wonder we've had the Chinese and dozens of other countries eating our lunch on bad trade deals, and we're allowing Mexico to invade our country without firing a shot.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Stan I didn't know they had guns 500 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Stan
Well................ they did.

"Maestro Bartolomeo Beretta was a master gun barrel maker living in Gardone. In 1526, Bartolomeo was paid by the Arsenal of Venice to make 185 arquebus barrels, making the Beretta company the oldest (gun) manufacturing company in the world. It is written that the bill of sale from 1526 is still in the company's archives."

SRH

All the longbow men undoubtedly commented how gAy it looked too.

Bartolomeo was undeterred.

Egads. Still too jangly. If you are going to play guitar.... you ‘gotta make it cry or sing.

https://youtu.be/oBP1tSgyluI

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Stan I didn't know they had guns 500 years ago.

Try 1,000 years ago.

The first device identified as a gun, a bamboo tube that used gunpowder to fire a spear, appeared in China around AD 1000.

The Chinese had previously invented gunpowder in the 9th century (AD 800-899).

Sidelock
Sidelock

I knew about all that Chinese and Italian crap people refer to as guns.

When I think gun I think of the English flint and cap locks followed by the cartridge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A former Co-worker of mine quite commonly made the statement "That's Why They Make Chocolate, Vanilla & 29 Other Flavors". Bottom line is Everyone simply does not like the same things. I bought my first double 64 years ago. From that day to this every double I have hunted with has had a top lever. I have absolutely Nothing against a top lever, but Rest Assured it is not the only one that is useful, efficient & easy to operate. Why did it superceed all other designs. To be honest I don't know, but it wasn't because it was that much Superior to all others & you can Take That to the Bank.

On Feb 1 1876 W Anson & J Deeley was issued US patent #172,943 for a Hammerless Cocking Mechanism & Lock. Was it a good design. Well its still around so apparently many people thought so. Is it "MY" favorite; "NO".

I like my old J P Clabrough sidelock or any of my Lefevers better. I find them just as reliable & far more Aesthetically Pleasing. Are these "Best" guns, no, but they suit me to a T. These are all more than 100 years old, some up to around 125 years old. They are still kicking rather high, much more so than me I am afraid. I have owned an A&D type gun, not a WR though. Was it good, Yes, but I like these others better.

In an 1895-96 Clabrough, Golcher & Co catalog the Clabrough like mine was priced @ $50.00. This was comparable to a #2 L C Smith, PH Parker, G Lefever, #2 Ithaca, A Remington, or B Baker. To keep an even comparison all are non-ejectors.I will say that of all these guns in this price range the Clabrough is the better engraved & few if any of them would I say were better built or fitted.

For a knock-about single the thumb push opener on late H&R's is convenient. Their Transfer Bar is a nice safety feature, but poorly designed. Several years back when I engaged in some part time gunsmithing I always kept several of these in stock. Have no idea how many of them I replaced. They used only one leg to function the bar & after a bit of use it broke off. There was plenty of room in the action to have put a leg on both sides which likely would have made them about 500% stronger, but would have cost a few cents more to make.

Conclusion of the whole matter is there Ain't No Perfect Mechanism I don't care what field you are in. All are compromises to some extent or the other.
No two people value the exact same things. Just because I say something is Not My Favorite is not to say it is Altogether Bad.

Larry is this written plain enough that even you can understand it??

Last edited by 2-piper; 07/29/18 05:08 PM.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have my doubts Mr.Miller....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a pair of Stephen Grant Sidelevers ca. 1890

Someone please remind me why we don't like these guns. crazy

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Beautiful guns. Though indeed a pair, not a matched pair, I would assume. Strange that they are so alike except for the sculpting of the lock panels and drop points on one, and none on the other. Also, the top one appears to have been sleeved to a smaller gauge?

Thanks for the pic, Bob. Your guns?

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 07/30/18 07:04 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.