March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, DaveB, graybeardtmm3, Kip, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce), 803 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#521722 08/28/18 11:01 PM
Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I can't figure out how the extractor on my Lefever H is supposed to stay secured in place on the barrels. If I'm not careful when I pull out the empty shells I lift the extractor rod completely free of the barrels. Wondering if something has been removed in the past.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There should be a tiny machine screw in the back end of the slot in which the back end of the extractor rides. Its head acts like a bumper to keep the extractor moving too far back when barrels are off the gun. I doubt it could work itself out and I've even seen those that had to be drilled out. Some one must have removed it. Sorry, I don't know the thread size.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nope. Picture No.1 clearly shows that slot and extractor retaining screw is not present on this apparently very early H grade. And it isn't missing either. Later guns had that feature, but not this one. I am surprised to see this feature on an H grade, and assumed it was gone by the time the H grade was introduced.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a new one on me. The "Slot" that NE mentioned is machined into the bottom of the rib extension, from the pictures it is not present on this gun. Likewise the top of the extractor is flat, it does not have the projection that fits in the slot. As the top projection riding in the slot prevents the extractor from Rocking none of mine have the guide pin above the extractor stem. I cannot recall having ever seen a Lefever extractor set up this way, but obviously this one was.

As NE said this type has either just a screw in the slot or in most cases a T shaped block set in. In this case a cross cut is milled across the bottom of the rib extension & the narrow end of the T fills the slot to the back of the extension & the wide part fills the cross cut. The extractor is thus stopped by the top projection bumping into either the screw head or the block.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some earlier guns also had the slot in the rib extension for the projection on the extractor to ride in to keep it from rotating, but didn't have the stop screw. Obviously, that version didn't need the guide pin. Another example of Dan Lefever constantly tinkering with his designs.

Solution: Be careful you don't lose your extractor... especially when you remove the barrels from the gun!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith;
Yes, I have an early 10 gauge Lefever side pivot with rod cocking which does not have the stop screw or block. The extractor on that one will not however simply fall out. You have to actually spring the stem a bit to remove it, was made that way intentionally. This was though close to 10 years prior to the H grade being introduced.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller, it would be interesting to know the serial numbers on the barrels of this H grade, and whether they are original to the gun. I have several Lefevers with extractors that will just fall out, including at least one with the guide pin. But none of them require any flexing of the extractor to get it to come past any sort of stop.

I learned about this during some moments of panic when I didn't notice that the extractor fell out of an early pivot lever gun while cleaning it, and it bounced under my workbench.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agreed on Keith's correction. After reading his reply I expanded pic #1 on my desktop and I don't see the guide slot or the hole for the bumper screw. This is a new one on me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are some extractors on two hook and early large hook guns that are not retained with a screw as in the later guns. If pulled hard enough, they can come right out. they are held in by tension from a small spring inside the barrel lug.
Now... there is even some variations of this design. I have observed guns as close as 50 numbers that had different extractor operations and retention designs.
A Pain... I know.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Couldn't a small screw be installed behind the barrel lump and cut a shallow notch in the extractor rod for the screw to ride in and act as a stop?

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.