Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just acquired a like new 20ga DHE with an extra set of 16ga barrels (courtesy of Galazan). When Mark Beasland received the gun and we were looking it over, he remarked on the 16ga forcing cones. You can see a line at the end of the chamber, then a faint shadow (fairly long) rather than the typical much darker forcing cone area. But we didn't look at the 20ga barrels, which are factory Parker Reproduction, to compare. I did when I got the gun home--and discovered that they looked exactly like what I saw in the 16ga barrels.

So I then compared to my 12ga Repro--and discovered that it didn't have the unusual cones (or almost not-cones). Standard darker ring where the chamber ends. I've owned several other Repros, and as best I can recall, there was nothing unusual about the forcing cones. But since I no longer have them to inspect, it's possible I might have missed one that looked like my new 2 barrel set.

Anyone else have a Repro with different looking cones like I described above???

crs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr Brown,
I have a 20 and 12 repro for several years and have never thought of looking at the forcing cones. I just shoot them, break clays or drop birds and move on. Oh and clean them from time to time.

Though I can not answer you question, I wish you best of luck in your quest.

Going for dove again tomorrow.

NRA Patron, TSRA, Whittington Center, DWWC,DRSS
Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a 20 gauge Repro with two sets of original barrels, 26" and 28". It shot very nicely and was fun to shoot.

I bought a set of 16 gauge Galazan barrels for it and had Galazan fit the barrels for me.

The 16's were not nearly as much fun to shoot. The recoil was a bit much compared to any of my 16 gauge original Parkers. I never measured the chambers to see if their length was what was stamped on the barrels and I never paid any attention to the shape or contour of the cones... but I wonder what else besides the cones would have had this effect on felt recoil.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Back when the original Parker Repros had the 16 ga. extra barrels offered, they were made by Krieghoff. I remember looking at a set and noted they were not as nicely finished as the Japanese 20 ga. barrels were, especially the rib knurling. Are the Galazan barrels just some of the leftover Krieghoff production or some of CSMC's production?
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One suggestion on felt recoil: Those 16ga barrels are fit to 20ga receivers. The end result is a gun that's lighter as a 16 than as a 20. If you launch the same shot charge at the same velocity from the same gun with lighter barrels, science tells us you're going to feel more recoil.

JR, I don't know if the 16ga barrels are leftover Krieghoffs. They're not marked Krieghoff. They fit nicely on my gun, but the rib knurling is different and they don't have the engraving on the breech end.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry,
Just looked at my 12 GA Repro cones. They do look to be shorter than what I would expect, Looking straight on they appear as just a dark somewhat thick line. Angling reveals the taper. Tried to measure length with a bore micrometer without success. My guess is no longer than 1/4" if that.
An Arrieta 12 sitting next to the Repro has cones at least twice as long as the Repro.
Bob Jurewicz

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bob, that's interesting. My 12ga has a cone like you describe. My 20 (and the 16ga barrel set) have much longer cones, don't show up nearly as dark. And while you can see a line where the chamber ends, there isn't really any "step" like there is with most forcing cones.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.