May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
11 members (bushveld, cpa, Jtplumb, earlyriser, Guy Ave, 2 invisible), 439 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,426
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
12brd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Picked this up at a small gun show in town here today. Don't know jack about Parkers, but it seemed to fit me very well and looked to be in decent condition. By the serial number it dates it at 1899. Has
# 2 Vulcan steel barrels and a number 2 frame. 12 ga 30 in with .033" const in the RH and .039" const in the Lh. I think it might be an 0 grade? Lemme know what I've got. Thanks John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't see a lot of detail in the pics, but Vulcan barrels would make it an early VH if that 1899 date is correct. Does the barrel SN match the frame and the trigger guard? That butt stock is spectacular for a VH (looks way too good), so may not be original to that gun. Looks like butt lumber does not match the fore end. Straight grip and super wood make it a very nice shooter even if stock is not original. 12 gauge, 2 frame, 30" is about the most common configuration for a VH, but straight stock is pretty scarce. Ejectors would make it a VHE. Someone with the Parker Serialization book can check for original configuration. Does the TG have a SN engraved on the tang? Should be a long tang unless converted from PG. Looks like a proud screw on the tang. I think Parkers had the SN stamped into the wood under the tang. Gun probably came from the factory with a spurred, hard plastic butt plate.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Show us the top and bottom of the gun from butt to forend. This is a real hot Parker if everything is OK. The lever position shows a lot of use, but that is not a problem. The stock is not original, but it is a plus. I was going to ask if you paid more than $200 for it.

12brd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

12brd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Definitely looks like it was a pistol grip at one time. #'s match on the barrels, forend iron and receiver. Stock work and checkering looks nice. Chamber length originally? Yes, I did pay more than $200 for it, but it did come with the hard case. JW

Last edited by 12brd; 09/22/18 10:34 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Chamber length originally?"

Would be 2-5/8" from factory, intended for 2-3/4" shells.

Sidelock
Sidelock

VH grade. The buttstock is not original. It was originally a pistol grip gun as it has the short guard that was straightened out for the new straight stock. The gun looks to be sound. Not too much remaining by way of original finishes, but a fair gun. Should make a good shooter.

The gun would have been chambered 2-5/8” but that was the length parker intended for shooting 2-3/4” shells.

B.Dudley
12brd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the help. I'm going to take it to the range today and try it on some skeet and 5 stand.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You must be one he!! of a good shot if the barrels are 33 and 39. The old standard was full=030. With all the new crap in choke tubes full is 035. Either way you have full and extra full. Not conducive to skeet shooting. Maybe handicap trap past the 25 yard line would be better suited for those chokes. Good luck. Oh, looks a real nice gun if you're not one to worry about it being correct. The top lever is sitting too far to the left for the checkering to be that nice. Man, did someone pick a mighty fine looking piece of wood. The recoil pad looks nice. From the picture it looks like maybe the stock was replaced years ago and was cleaned up and recheckered because the wood looks dark near the receiver, like it's oil soaked. With the changes already done to the gun I wouldn't be afraid to get the chokes opened up a bit if you ever wanted to. Looks like you have a real nice shooter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would buy that gun. With a gun choked like that, you will surprise yourself with hard hits on easy birds and occasional misses on hard birds. Have a good time. I have a baggo guns choked like that and enjoy them as much as dedicated skeet guns.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.