March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Karl Graebner, Ken Nelson, Jimmy W, canvasback, Marc Ret, Licensed to kill), 288 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use a TuffPak take down case. I just finished packing it to take my USAF daughter her guns in the morning. She is back in the USA after being overseas.

My TuffPak is 17 lbs empty. I have it decorated in stickers that don't scream gun. I pack the guns then add luggage in soft cases for extra padding.

I came back from Vegas once with the TuffPak and an Americase double gun case. The TuffPak showed up in the baggage carousel. The Americase was missing. I tracked it down to the baggage agents. They had pulled it aside because they knew it had guns. The guns in the TuffPak were worth twice the guns in the Americase. Go figure.

TuffPaks don't look like gun cases. I also have used a cheap SKB golf bag hard case from Dick's Sporting Goods with good results. I had rifles and they didn't fit the smaller TuffPak.

There are full length TuffPaks. I have seen dealers use them as shipping containers between shows. Never any damages they have said.

My thoughts,

Joe
In Charlotte, but headed to Sacramento. Anybody want to shoot? I'll need a loaner SxS.

Sidelock
Sidelock

when i took a tuffpak to Scotland i got asked a lot of questions about where i was golfing during the stay, that was the sum total of the attention it drew

and i found one of those SKB golf bag cases for a pittance in a thrift shop, haven't used it yet, but i expect it will do just fine

jmc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Update with some product home testing notes:

Firstly, the guns I intend to travel with are a 20 ga. Parker Repro and, a 16 ga L.C. Smith Ideal with 28 bbls. I offer this for scale and dimension qualities only,, and they are my favorite grouse & woodcock guns wink

Second, I have scrapped the idea of using hard case packed in luggage. This would only provide for traveling with one gun and, the myriad of potential issues with TSA and baggage handlers.

So, I went to Cabelas and after getting fairly minimal input from staff, brought home a Pelican model 1720 case and a Cabalas house branded molded tactical take-down case. They advertise the Cabelas case as made in USA and the gentleman helping me said he believes it is made by Pelican. Who really knows, but its evident where they cut costs and more on that in a bit. Cabelas case is a little more than 20% cheaper than the Pelican 1720 (retail) however it is slightly deeper dimensionally by about 1.5. I liked this aspect as I usually pack 2 guns and it accepts them with an inch buffer around all parts and edges. The negative is that the foam is of lesser quality (small tears from sharp edges of action and lugs with just light bouncing on carpet when all closed up. Also, the ends of the case do not close tight even with guns inside and all latches tight. There are no latches on the ends of either of these two models. I got movement of barrels and forends in the Cabelas case when lightly banging it on a carpeted floor. No bueno! Also, and Im not too sure how important this really is but, the pressure release mechanism on the Cabelas case is not the same as the Pelican and staff could not confirm if it was auto or manual..

As for the Pelican 1720, I put same two guns broken down but kept forends off and out of the case. It took a good bit of pressure to close up and latch the case but is doable and will be fine at the airport. Same light bounce-safely test on carpet and absolutely no movement of barrels or separate action/butt ends. However, I couldnt position both broken down guns with a full inch buffer from all parts but a, able to maintain at least an inch from all outer edges of the case interior. I can place clean chamois cloth around both sets if barrels for protection against any potential movement with no issues. There is probably enough room for the detached forends but I left them out and can secure them in my luggage safely if I go with the Pelican which im leaning towards...

Apologies for the long tome and lack of pictures but I would truly appreciate any additional feedback on my case selections and hope this is of some use to others that are contemplating the purchase of a travel case.

Best,
Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry, I have flown with Cabela's proprietary aluminum airline case with no problems (twice), and have flown with my Pelican plastic case. Having done that, I have greater faith in my Pelican case than the Cabela's aluminum case. There's a lot more to it than what the outside material is comprised of. Actually, the Pelican is heavier and bulkier than the aluminum case I used to fly to Argentina twice, but if I go again the Pelican will get the nod.

I'm really not sure how to fully "support" my decision, and I understand that you're comparing two cases that are a lot more similar than I am, but in my opinion there is nothing that compares with the protection capability of the Pelican.

Last edited by Stan; 10/14/18 07:44 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
jmc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan,

I too used to fly with an aluminum that Im fairly sure was by Americase or whichever mfg Orvis sold as it would fit in the bottom compartment of their large rolling canvas duffle. That was the past and I too now have more confidence in the hard molded plastic cases that just go right on the plane as a separate piece of luggage. Im still gonna sleep on it but, Im pretty much sold on the Pelican for my needs and piece of mind...

-Jerry

jmc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Me again,, are standard Master key locks still acceptable by TSA? Getting conflicting info from some folks and the TSA website. Thanks again, Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

I travel internationally with guns to exhibit in the USA in my checked luggage several times a year and use purpose built flight cases.
When I first started doing this I was told by TSA to use their locks to save them cutting them off for inspection if I was not accessible.
However I soon found that the TSA rule is that you SHOULD NOT use TSA locks as everybody and his dog has a key to fit! I therefore use cheap (keyed alike) brass padlocks which can be cut off at minimal cost if they so wish. I also carry a few spare locks and plenty of keys to give to TSA.
TSA operatives don't appear to give a rat's a*** what locks you use as long as they can get in the case when they want to inspect.

Last edited by Toby Barclay; 10/15/18 03:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My experience mirrors Toby's exactly. Both nationally and internationally. However, I use fairly good padlocks - 4-number combination locks and I pack a couple of extras. Never had one cut off. Although, back in the day of TSA padlocks, I did have several cut off even though TSA supposedly had a key for them.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have not flown with guns internationally in recent years but the rule used to be that you use your own padlock after TSA inspection at the departure airport. Ignorant United employees once delayed a 747 from SFO to London for over an hour, generally treating me like a criminal while demanding nonexistent permits and insisting that the case should be unlocked, not even bothering to check their own regs. TSA eventually set them straight.

I have used Pelicans to carry delicate dart guns for over 20 years in Africa. They rattle around in the back of the pickup in very dusty conditions, often with dead cows, Hilift jacks, spare tires, or Masai warriors sitting on them - never a problem.

jmc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Gentlemen,, you have confirmed my past experience and what I should expect today.. I will be using standard Master locks with keys with fingers crossed.

Best,
Jerry

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.