March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Roundsworth, gasgunner, R. Glenz, Lloyd3, Wild Skies), 837 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently bought a rifle from Little John's Auctions in southern CA. I was bidding through Proxibid. The catalog description said the bore was excellent. When the rifle arrived, I found the bore to be both rough and dark. When I contacted the seller. I was told condition was subjective and that I should consider that the rifle was over 100 years old. If you're ever inclined to bid sight-unseen on one of Little John's auctions, be warned. Catalog descriptions are optimistic, and they're not backed by any recourse.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ditto Australian Arms auctions, and likely most others. Best to have on site inspection before bidding. Old guns are hard to but if not in hand.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pay with a credit card. Not happy? Stop payment.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is typical of some auction houses. There's no way that this is just one person's idea of excellent vs. another's idea of dark and poor. The description is just way too far off what you really got. It's flat out misleading, and designed to garner more bids and higher sale prices.
It also makes me leery of bidding at their auctions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've found that the descriptions of items on the various Proxibid auctions are all over the place from nonexistent to downright verbose. Which latter is fine if the "verbs" are accurate. They often aren't.

I sometimes sell guns on these auctions when I can't find a local buyer, but I only buy guns that I have gone to see and handle at the auction site. Never used Little John's because I literally can't find the site. "Someplace in Orange"! (Their online directions took me to a decent Chinese restaurant....a great money-saver!).

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recently saw several items, a Remington 1894 and a Blanch, on auction thru Proxbid. When I called the auction houses for futher information, I was told "as is where is,". Needless to say, I passed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This weekend I won a pre WWI era Marlin '94 deluxe rifle at a local auction. The auction only provided one image of the right side, and I broke my own rule of not bidding without good pictures, or going to look at a gun. I had little notice, so no time to go look.
I bid half of what I thought it was worth in an absentee bid, and it closed at 2/3 of what I bid, so I was surprised and excited. I went yesterday to pick it up, and got another surprise. A crack in the wrist on the left side that was nicely repaired. Appears to be a very old repair, and I can make it look even better with some work. But it does reinforce my previous rule of looking first. But if I had looked, I'd still have bid the same, and been happy with the purchase. It is a stunning piece, and in very nice condition for 111 years old.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many years ago I purchased a rifle from Little Johns. I learned the first time and did not go back

John Boyd

PS: Have met John a few times and is actually a very nice guy.

Last edited by arrieta2; 10/24/18 01:48 PM.

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Having dealt with rocky mtn bill's integrity on other sub-forums here, I would have to say that people who live in glass houses should not be throwing stones at Little John's Auction House.

(I can provide links and quotes to back up that statement Billy)

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vall, maybe you can post some pictures of your new Marlin. Sounds really nice. I'd love to have a Deluxe. What caliber and barrel dimensions/profile?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.