March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (David Williamson, SKB, HalfaDouble, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 391 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 30 inch 20 gauge sterlingworth and they are scarce.Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ve seen a couple 30” 20’s Sterlingworths pop up on auction site in the last year. Each brought very good money, more so when you look at their well worn condition. Who knows what a real gem would bring and I doubt we will find out anytime soon. I suspect each pristine 30 & 32” 20 is spoken for many time long before it comes up for sale. Those will never hit the auction sites. A few are owned by members on this board but none are for sale l am sure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

not mine but if you are really serious:
https://www.gunauction.com/buy/15201981

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great pictures on the 20. It has been stamped chambers length, I assume by Savage at a later date. The Barrels are stamped Chromox Fluid which I wonder about. Has anyone pulled the production card? Is there one for this gun? The serial number on the barrels has been restamped later. The font type is different on the numbers 1,4 and 3. Are the barrels a factory Savage replacement set? Does it letter? Or is there another reason for the mismatched serial number fonts? I’d still like to buy it. If these old guns could talk the stories they have to tell us.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The use of different fonts on the barrel flats and watertable is the norm on A.H. Fox Gun Co. guns. Here is a pretty close in time 30-inch AE-Grade 20-gauge, which letters as being ordered "Chamber for 2 3/4 shell" --

and as was the policy at the time has 2 5/8 inch chambers.

It appears to me that Savage lengthened the chambers and reproofed serial number 201403 as was their policy and then did some work on the single trigger. That pin through the trigger plate next to the barrel selector slide isn't on any Fox-Kautzky Single Selective Trigger I own.

Last edited by Researcher; 10/24/18 07:50 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bobby call or message me. Haven't spoken to ya in awhile but I'm heading that way shortly

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave,

As per your comment on the trigger plate pin on Fox AE 201403, I have always wondered about those pins on Fox guns with Kautzky triggers and their function?

I have recorded two 12ga Fox SPE Skeet & Upland (SPE S&U) guns that had 2 pins though the trigger plate, 1 on each side of their Kautzky triggers.

I have also observed one 16ga Fox SPE S&U gun with 1 pin through the trigger plate.

All 3 of these Fox SPE S&U guns were original and appeared to be unmolested.

However, not every Fox SPE S&U with a Kautzky has these pins; thus, perhaps the guns with pins had gone back to Savage for some trigger work, as you suggest?

Last edited by scaupman; 10/25/18 10:52 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder if the pins might have something to do with Savage, perhaps the gun in question may have been a double trigger originally and went back to Savage for the trigger.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

No. The Fox-Kautzky Single Selective Trigger in the intermediate position is original. The only two Fox-Kautzky Single Selective Triggers I currently have are on an SP-Grade 16-gauge and a 12-gauge SPE-Grade Skeet & Upland Game Gun. Neither have the pins.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Philly 16 ga sterlingworh with 32" barrels that I purchased several years back. The friend I bought it from described it as a"3 legged cow". I purchased it due to the fact it was in EXCELLENT original condition. Mentioned it on this board and received some unsolicited offers for multiples of what I had in it. Sgt Mosteller and I discussed it for months as he wanted it for turkeys. We finally agreed on a trade for a straight griped AE with two sets of barrels with the additional caveat that he would come to Alabama to take possession and I would put him on a turkey. His health went south, but I did get to visit him at Walter Reed and meet his brother, Daryl who was with him. Regret that he did not live to kill a turkey with it. Still in my safe, and based on the above comments, guess it has not lost value.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.