April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Researcher, Birdog, graybeardtmm3, 1 invisible), 557 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,083
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

the doublegun investment market is in flux...fortunately, the rate of change is slow enough that classic risk vs return ratio probability analysis techniques can be employed to create scenarios for return on investment models...

anybody wish to start it off?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have overspent on some double guns, and gotten good deals on others, and I won't sell any of them for less than what I paid (my wife would if I kicked the bucket). I get to hunt with them, which is why I bought them in the first place, which makes them all a lot of fun to own. Being in my early 50s, I probably have to wait another ten to fifteen years to see where my double gun investments are. And by then, my son will have quietly assumed ownership of all but a couple that I keep close at hand at all times. So now that I think about it, I may never get to figure out if my double rifle purchases made or lost money...

NRA Life
FOAC Life
PA Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Life
PA Trappers Association Life
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

then this thread is not for you...enjoy your collection...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ooooooook then

NRA Life
FOAC Life
Sidelock
Sidelock

I never bought a gun with the idea I could make money on it, Ed. I bought McDonalds stock when it was about $80 a share. That was an investment Ed. Investments are mostly different than guns.
I have a few guns that will sell for more than I paid for them. But, that is nothing more than a happy accident, and if Im not around to supervise the dispersal, that notion could go straight to hell also. The happy accident is also subject to change if the next generation decides hunting and the shooting sports are pass.
Model that, ed.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Investments make money only two ways: they earn an income; and/or they are sold for more (accounting for inflation etc) than they were bought.
Guns, ordinarily, can't earn an income. That leaves capital growth. Sure, some have made good money buying cheaply and selling later at a profit, but what dividends did they forego by having their money tied up in guns? How much was eaten by insurance, storage, security, maintenance etc?
The only way I see guns being a worthwhile investment is to find sleepers and valuables that the vendors don't realise are valuable and buy them for a bargain. But that's arbitrage. It doesn't often happen, and the time and learning and legwork that goes into making those moments happen has a cost all of its own.
For those reasons, it's my opinion that investing in guns is a mug's game.
My guns are not bought with a view to what they'll be worth down the track. They're bought because I enjoy and appreciate them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed I've never saw a gun you had listed that could be called an investment except on your end.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: cadet
Investments make money only two ways: they earn an income; and/or they are sold for more (accounting for inflation etc) than they were bought.
Guns, ordinarily, can't earn an income. That leaves capital growth. Sure, some have made good money buying cheaply and selling later at a profit, but what dividends did they forego by having their money tied up in guns? How much was eaten by insurance, storage, security, maintenance etc?
The only way I see guns being a worthwhile investment is to find sleepers and valuables that the vendors don't realise are valuable and buy them for a bargain. But that's arbitrage. It doesn't often happen, and the time and learning and legwork that goes into making those moments happen has a cost all of its own.
For those reasons, it's my opinion that investing in guns is a mug's game.
My guns are not bought with a view to what they'll be worth down the track. They're bought because I enjoy and appreciate them.

That

NRA Life
FOAC Life
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

looking for model data input...a clue:

what rumsfeld said:

- we know what we know...
- we know what we don't know...
- we don't know what we don't know...

you come up with the data scenarios...

i will create the models and run them through simulating algorithms to produce the charts necessary for linear risk/benefit analysis...

Last edited by ed good; 11/05/18 01:36 AM.

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

jOe: every gun can be an investment or not...if they are investments, then the trick is knowin when to hold erm and when to fold erm...and when to cash out...and move to a different game...

Last edited by ed good; 11/05/18 01:47 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.