March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Marc Ret, Ian Forrester, SKB, eightbore, cpa, 1 invisible), 329 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would like to take you back to the 1960s when hammer guns had very little value in fact so low their only value was for wall hangers.

This young man having very little sense decided to restore one of these wall hangers that needed restocking. Yes! It is me! Was I ever that young?

Contacted the makers Purdey and to put it in a nut shell they where not interested, though they did suggest I made a visit to the Birmingham gun quarter around Lower Loveday Street and gave me a name. The name was an outworker who did jobbing work for the trade. Now to say he was old was an understatement ancient fitted better, and yes he would do the work but wanted some of the money up front in cash and the rest when the work was completed also in cash because this was to be his last job. And in his words he wanted to end on a gun he could be proud of. So I handed over one hundred and fifty pounds and left the rest to trust, youth stupidity though it all ended well as you can see. And why all this stupid trust because he had restocked Bar in Wood guns before in his words many times. The gun has been in continuous use since then with no cracks appearing.

Yes it is a "Mop Top" hair cut what would you expect a lad from Liverpool to have in the 1960s, did not want to stand out in the Cavern Club. And yes I did know the Beatles and others.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus...awesome story and spectacular gun!!!

Was the ancient fella named Ebenezer Hands?

jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

mines a 12500.range serial
different engraving than yours.

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

IF that was truly his last stocking job, he ended on a very high note.

I envy you the opportunities to acquire such things in the land from which they came with access to the men who made them or at least were trained by the men who made them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

At the time I collected the gun and handed over for me at the time a staggering amount of cash, I was rather disappointed about how the stock figuring looked. Well it was not rich dark swirling and beautiful, with the stupidity of youth I did make a passing remark. His reply was simply this, the grain is as it should be for one of those guns strong and straight to take the shock from the head through the stock it wont twist shrink away from the action or crack through the wrist. It will out live you son if you treat it well. You know he was right fifty years I have used it regularly the chequering is still in good shape the wood to metal fit is the same as the day I collected it from his workshop. Regularly at the end of every season I would strip clean it, the amazing thing is how little wood there really is in the head when you remove the action and locks. It wont be that long now before I will be looking for another custodian because It is ageing a far better than I am. But not just yet!

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Absolutely a wonderful tool there damascus.
My Father used to say, back in the sixties, that "You can't have both hair & brains". Once again the hairy youth proved that assumption wrong.

You would be surprised really at the amount of time a skilled hand takes to do such a job.
Done many times before & trained on all the tricks & knowledge from generations of artisans coming up through the trade it becomes a smooth deliberate action. Efficiency of moves & the right tools coupled with that knowledge of how to use them would make the job look simple in the hands of a master.
O.M

jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Damascus
That's a cool story... My dad said the Beatles weren't musicians they were just yelling..... I don't think he understood that it was the girl's that were yelling , not the Beatles... Lovely time ! I have never gotten to Liverpool .
Probably if there were one gun left I'd like to have it would be a Bar in Wood Purdey or Westley in a 12.

They would never buy me Beatle boots either. My mother said they were tacky...not too late for me to get some I guess.

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Monty, I was a teenager during that time, too. When I was dating my sweetheart, who is now my wife of 47 years, bell bottom britches were the rage. Her family had a big German Shepherd named Max. Max tolerated me, but didn't really like me coming around all that much. One afternoon I drove up to her house in my '69 Camaro SS. I got out and started to the door in my new bell bottoms, which flapped and popped when I walked. Max did not care for this at all, and "treed" me forthwith, with teeth popping and fangs bared. After my visit with her, I arranged for her to walk with me back to my car...................and I walked slowly. Max watched with much consternation.

That was the end of me and bell bottoms.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What a perfect job. I too have been suckered into the beauty of flashy grain. Once they failed, I understood the advice I ignored to choose for strength not beauty. Still your stock does have as certain beauty and well matches your gun. Funny how so people cant resist putting a stock that is three grades above the one which matches the guns level of decoration.

jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In the 60's and 70's I often said the people who grew up in the 50's as teenagers grew up in the best era ELVIS ! Gigantic after the war economy, but I have changed . I loved the 60's GTOs , Mustangs ,Beatles, Stones, and the good looking females which still seem to persist.
Hunted with a Remington model 11 for birds and a 30/30 Winchester no scope and dreamed for the day I could have a bolt action rifle with a scope. If I saw a doe It was a good day.
Stan you were cool if you had a 69 Camero SS . I had a Station Wagon that functioned well.
KY john I agree with you one the strength but I am one of those which likes 3 grades better wood ..... I hunted with boat paddle wood for so long .

monty
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.