April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (canvasback, graybeardtmm3, LeFusil, bushveld, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 472 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,072
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good discussion gentlemen and food for thought, I suppose and Im going to make the effort to get out and pattern my spreaders. I have a few of the Fiocchis in my dove bag too. Never noticed any extra recoil but then again, I have only run those through a 7.5lb Fox with 30 tubes and great balance. Its my dove gun before ducks come in.. I will put up a large area of paper to see just how any fliers may stray out of the pattern. I will not hesitate to use them for dove/pigeon should I choose a tightly choked gun for the day and usually only load them into the left chamber so should be conservatively be able to keep an ample inventory until I bump into RST at one of the future regional events. I stopped reloading several years ago which I enjoyed, but could make economic sense of as I dont shoot targets except on occasion. Cheers and good hunting,, jmc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buzz- I also found that spreaders can be cripplers on grouse. I also used a cylinder gun for pheasant and rabbit when I was a teen. The rule is, you have to be very close to the bird to get a killing effect with either cylinder or a spreader. 25 yards is a long way for a spreader.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I did some testing for 12 gauge spreader loads back a few years ago. I loaded shells with polywad spreaders, the X spreader that BPI sells, and one other one that I have forgotten. The polywad gave much more consistent patterns than the others.

I wanted to use a f/m sxs on late season doves and I wound up using a load with an ounce of shot under the polywad and 1/4 oz over it. I found that if I just put the polywad over all the shot it left a hole somewhere in the pattern. Adding shot over the wad seemed to eliminate the hole. I got that idea from a guy on another forum who had done extensive testing with a 16 gauge.

It changed the performance of the gun from f/m to m/ic, and I didn't notice flyers being any worse than a normal shell. I wouldn't have been afraid to hunt over a dog with these shells. It does take a good bit of extra effort to load shells in this manner, so I wouldn't do it except for hunting purposes. I would think you could duplicate it with 20 gauge loads.

Last edited by coosa; 12/16/18 02:45 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember an article in either DGJ or Shooting Sportsman about 20 years ago that reported extensive testing on spreaders. The golf tee type insert reported more effective in changing the pattern consistently. The X type insert was not as effective. Also, the more choke the more the change. The spreaders were intended for short range work.

Does anyone else remember this article?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The Fiocchi Interceptors are loaded with the X post in the center, AIR, and they pattern great out of my MX8. I say that after plenty of testing them on my plate. That's the only gun I use them in, and as I said before, only for crazy close rabbits or extremely fast and close droppers.

I hate those kinds of targets anyway. I wouldn't even take a shot on game that close to me, and some target setters persist in putting such stupid presentations out there. I'd rather shoot 50 yard crossers any day than a fast, bouncing rabbit at under 20 feet. It's just poor target setting, IMO.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
The Fiocchi Interceptors are loaded with the X post in the center, AIR, and they pattern great out of my MX8. I say that after plenty of testing them on my plate. That's the only gun I use them in, and as I said before, only for crazy close rabbits or extremely fast and close droppers.

I hate those kinds of targets anyway. I wouldn't even take a shot on game that close to me, and some target setters persist in putting such stupid presentations out there. I'd rather shoot 50 yard crossers any day than a fast, bouncing rabbit at under 20 feet. It's just poor target setting, IMO.

SRH

What he said!!!

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm probably not going to mess with them at all. Dogs' safety is much more important than any slight edge I might get with a spreader out of an IC choked barrel anyway. Truth is, when I use the Fiocchi Interceptors on those "stupid close-in wabbits", as SJ calls them, I'm not certain the advantage is as important as I sometimes want to believe it is. I shoot two fixed choke .020"s at sporting clays, and do well with it even without the spreaders. My final score on the course is determined much more by which Stan showed up that day than it is by whether or not I remembered to bring a box if spreaders.

I'll likely be much better served to repeat the admonition of the The Patriot to his young son, "Remember, aim small, miss small, as my mantra.

SRH

Maybe it's a matter of which Stan sat down at his keyboard.

You want 20 gauge spreaders or not?

If you do, you likely will have to load them.

Even with shipping, the components cost...

(get ready for it).

Peanuts.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
I'm probably not going to mess with them at all. Dogs' safety is much more important than any slight edge I might get with a spreader out of an IC choked barrel anyway. Truth is, when I use the Fiocchi Interceptors on those "stupid close-in wabbits", as SJ calls them, I'm not certain the advantage is as important as I sometimes want to believe it is. I shoot two fixed choke .020"s at sporting clays, and do well with it even without the spreaders. My final score on the course is determined much more by which Stan showed up that day than it is by whether or not I remembered to bring a box if spreaders.

I'll likely be much better served to repeat the admonition of the The Patriot to his young son, "Remember, aim small, miss small, as my mantra.

SRH

Maybe it's a matter of which Stan sat down at his keyboard.

You want 20 gauge spreaders or not?

If you do, you likely will have to load them.

Even with shipping, the components cost...

(get ready for it).

Peanuts.

grin

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I was reloading (one-by-one on Mec Jr.) I tried the soda straw method but never maintained the inquisitive attitude it takes to perfect a custom spreader load and ended up buying polywads then, RSTs and Fiocchis.. not that anyone asked, just enjoy pulling on this thread.. Peace, jmc

Sidelock
Sidelock

My first 'good double' was a Reilly sleever with M&F chokes. I wanted to use it enough that I bought some Polywad 'doublewides' and thought the shells made it a great quail gun. I've never had any luck at all using spreader on dove though. Past twenty yards and it won't kill anything...Geo

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.