March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, canvasback, SKB, Ted Schefelbein), 790 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dogs. Earlier this week I had the fire ant episode with Willa and a trip to the vet Monday. I spent 3 hours in the Emergency Vet office yesterday. The office is the only 24/7 vet office between Charleston and Brunswick and we are lucky to have it. Abby was limping around favoring her right front leg. I believe she injured her foot ratting or mousing in a lumber pile behind the house. Fortunately it was soft tissue. She'll be riding the pines until week's end. Good thing I have Willa. We'll be going out this a.m. Saturday night after coming in the from the woods, Abby ate a half pound of fudge. Chocolate can be dangerous for dogs; I gave her a tablespoon of Hydrogen Peroxide with some heavy cream and she launched a brick sized wad of dog food and chocolate within 15 minutes. Good to know that combo works on dogs as an emetic. Yesterday I was supposed to be at the dove field at 1 pm. Because I was at the vet's office until 115, I was scrambling to load up my truck with dove stool, shells, etc. (Story is getting to be a variation of "my dogs ate my homework".) I usually take time to make sure everything is packed. An hour and a half late, I drove up to the field, 30 minutes from home, went to grab my dove stool. It wasn't in the truck. It was sitting on the porch 30 minutes away. No one else I know shoots a 16 so I headed home hoping no one saw me drive up and leave. Billy called last night to see what happened as he saw me drive up and leave. I asked him what was a better excuse: 1) I crapped my pants or 2) I forgot my dove stool with ammo inside of it. He thought it was a tie, so I told him to pick one. I think he's still laughing. Abby's much better this morning but she is on injured reserve until later in the week. Weather looks rainy later this week so she'll get a good rest. Are Willa and Abby worth the trouble and expense? You betcha. Merry Christmas.

Last edited by GLS; 12/24/18 04:31 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Life with dogs can be exciting. Glad Abby's okay.

Eating lots of cheese may help. Bowel control............... not fire ant bites. wink

Merry Christmas, buddy.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 12/24/18 08:30 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A few months ago I saw a post on another forum about a first aid kit for dogs. I ordered working dog kit at the link below and supplemented it with several packs of anti-clot gel, more vet wrap, more clotting gauze, extra Benadryl tablets, a small bottle of sterile saline solution sold for contact lens wear, an Israeli Combat Compression bandage and a digital thermometer. I repacked it in this German Bread Bag with a rubberized liner. It had two holes in the bottom for drainage (I guess) which I covered with Gorilla Tape inside. I bought the bag from an Ebay store. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018ONRL2E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&th=1
The same kit is more than adequate for humans. I need to add band aids to complete the kit for people.

Sidelock
Sidelock

First aid kit for dogs! The same kit as for people with one very helpful addition a roll of plastic Electrical insulation tape, It sticks well to fur and its self totally water proof in the medium term making a good tight dressing. On occasions I have used it on my self especially when that pink elastic human sticky tape gives up the ghost in the wet and rain.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Life with dogs can be exciting. Glad Abby's okay.

Eating lots of cheese may help. Bowel control............... not fire ant bites. wink

Merry Christmas, buddy.

SRH

You, too, Stan. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil hunts woodcock down here in hog country. The possibility of having to stop serious bleeding due to contact with GA ivory is very real, for man or dog.

Good idea, Gil. I like that bag. Looks like it would make a good duck hunting bag for walk-in holes. I'm going to look into them closer.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

After my turkey dog got his shoulder layed open by Constantine wire at Ft.Campbell I added a surgical staper to my dog kit...never had to use it.

Gil I'd add a good pair of round nose dog scissers and a pair of hemastats and small pliers. My New york buddy has needed the pliers several times to remove porcupine quills.

Last edited by HomelessjOe; 12/24/18 07:33 PM. Reason: Can you say butt hurt..I just checked superman has me on ignore boo hoo hoo
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have watched as a friend stapled his catch dog's chest closed after a really big boar laid it open with his tusks. It was mostly bulldog, and my friend got him up on the tailgate of the pickup and he stood there, with no anesthetic of any kind, and let his owner staple up that gash. He never flinched once. I cannot comprehend a bulldog's threshold of pain, but I can tell you it is far, far above mine.

BTW, the boar got the worst end of the deal. He destroyed no more of my irrigated corn after that well deserved set-to.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a dog first aid kit I worked out with my vet. Mostly its for keeping a field trial dog working. There are a few other items I would add when hunting, the number one being a good Leatherman. Sorry the formatting is so poor.

PET FIRST AID KIT

PRE TRAVEL PREPARATION:
Tick/flea prevention: BRAVECTO – please provide Revolution topically
OR Nexgard chewable
Heartworm: Heartgard chewable (if going to a heartworm endemic area)

KIT:
Personal safety: Soft tie strap/rope or old pair of panty hose to create a make shift muzzle
Latex gloves
Penlight or flashlight
Eye medication: BNP ointment – 2-3 times daily (stronger than polysporin ophthalmic)
Naphcon ophthalmic for allergic conjunctivitis – 2 times daily
Saline rinse
Please provide
Ear medication: Otomax - 2 times daily
Please provide
Routine ear cleaning solution
Q-tips
Antiinflammatory: Metacam (Meloxicam) once daily as per weight of dog
OR Dermaxx (Deracoxib) once daily as per weight of dog
Please provide Dermaxx
Thermometer (rectal or ear – rectal is more accurate)
Allergic reactions: Reactine (Cetirizine) 5-20mg depending on weight of dog ONCE daily
Please provide
OR Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) 25mg 1-2 capsules per dog depending on weight of animal
*** When purchasing antihistamines, ensure there are no ADDITIONAL ingredients added such as decongestants or cough suppressants. Only ONE ingredient should be in active ingredient list.
Thorn/quill removal Tweezer
Needle nose pliers
Collapsible bowl for washing
18-20 gauge needle(s)
Bleeding: Tourniquet
Wounds: Chlorhexidine, betadine or benzoyl peroxide shampoos
Polysporin for skin or hibitane ointment
Non stick gauze pads (Telfa pads)
4X4 gauze squares
Vetrap – please provide
Kling and soft padding
Sticky bandage such as Liteplast, Elastoplast or equivalent
Adhesive tape
Alcohol wipes in foil packs
Scissors
Torn toe nails Quik-stop or equivalent for bleeding toenails or small wounds
Nail clippers
Emetic: Try 1st Hyrdogen peroxide 3% to induce vomiting for non-caustic poisons or small foreign bodies. ~5-10mL/pet. Take for a short walk. Repeat in 10 minutes if no response.
Try 2nd 1-3 tsp in warm water given via syringe (5-10 mL syringe)
Dehydration: Plenty of water
Hypothermia: Blanket (eg foil blanket for heat retension)
Hypoglycemia: Corn syrup, pancake syrup or honey
Lameness: Ace/Tensor bandage for swelling support
Cold pack kits (acute swelling) or heat pack kits (chronic swelling or arthritis)
Splint eg tent poles/newspaper
Diarrhea: Pepto chewables
Metronidazole 250mg tablets ˝-2 tablets twice daily depending on size
FORBID probiotic sachets
Please provide
Vomiting: Pepcid A/C 10mg tablets – 1-3 tablets 1-2 times daily depending of weight OR
Zantac 75 – 1 tablet 1-2 times daily

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unbelievable.

SRH

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.