April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (RWG, SKB, Ian Forrester, 2 invisible), 1,000 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,105
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is one thing I failed to mention, above. The gun has Belgian proofs, but the parts may have been made in Germany. The rifle barrel is the right barrel, which is typically a German arrangement. Belgians usually( admittedly my experience is limited)placed the rifle barrel on the left hand side. The difference this makes, in my mind, is German calibers become a little more likely.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Craig W

Probably don't know what I am seeing, but I don't see the lug being broken.

My best WAG is that the gun was made by a German in Germany, using sourced/proofed barrels from Belgium.

Going by the proofmarks, IIRC it was proofed (not necessarily made) after 1892 & before 1923.

Dixie Gun Works, for one, sells LH hammers that might at least let youf Cape Gun look complete.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/2364/category_id/532/category_chain/616,520,532/product_name/HP3911+Hammer%2C+Percussion+for+TN.+MTN.+Rifle+-+.50+Caliber+LH

The rear corner of the barrel assembly's forward under lug is broken off.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My wife and I bought this old Ansorg Landau double barreled gun from our neighbor for our son for Christmas.

I'd let the little lady bear the brunt of this bad decision....there's always a bright side to everything.

If your son owns a rustic cabin with very bad lighting and is in dire need of ugly wall art then she did good.

We will find a local gunsmith with enough experience to help us find out exactly what we have and whether it is worth fixing. Some local gunshops have given us good leads on competent area gunsmiths.

Man will be extinct on this planet before any money you put into this gun could ever be recouped.

If I were you I'd stay as far away from a gunsmith as I could with this gun....what part of junk are you having trouble with ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Any idea what this gun might be worth?

How did I miss this first go round ?

I'll give you my honest unbiased opinion of what it's not worth.

As wall art It's not worth over a couple hundred bucks as wall art displayed in a dimly lit restaurant.

As a practical shooting gun it's not worth over .50 cents.

It's not worth spending another dime on.

Now if you don't mind I have a couple of questions for you....

How much did you pay for this rare gun...And have you whipped the neighbors azz yet ?

Craig W Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Any idea what this gun might be worth?

How did I miss this first go round ?

I'll give you my honest unbiased opinion of what it's not worth.

As wall art It's not worth over a couple hundred bucks as wall art displayed in a dimly lit restaurant.

As a practical shooting gun it's not worth over .50 cents.

It's not worth spending another dime on.

Now if you don't mind I have a couple of questions for you....

How much did you pay for this rare gun...And have you whipped the neighbors azz yet ?

Hiya Homeless Homey

I'll answer your question with a question and a comment...
Did you take your meds this morning?
I do believe you are clueless as well as homeless.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What part of my evaluation you think is incorrect ?

Trust me bud it's spot on.

Craig W Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
What part of my evaluation you think is incorrect ?

Trust me bud it's spot on.

I never trust a rude, arrogant, homeless internet troll. For this, you have won the prize today.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Gee only 10 posts in and it seems like Craig has Frank Cox figured out.

Excuse our rudest board member for his complete lack of manners, he is an embarrassment here on the board.

I restore these type of guns for a living. Unfortunately Frank is correct in his assessment that this gun will need far more money invested in it than it will ever be worth. If you are looking for a gun for your son to shoot you will be much farther ahead buying something that is in sound condition when you buy it. In today's market a nice shootable double can be had for well under 1K, often for half that. Best of luck in finding the right gun for your boy. One recommendation I do have is if he is a new shooter you find him a gun with "modern dimensions". Many of the older doubles have lots of drop and can be hard to shoot for a beginner. Feel free to email or PM if you see a gun that interests you I am happy to offer a free opinion on it.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a very involved project gun. It should have ended up in the hands of an experienced gunsmith as his project, but, most good gunsmiths would have likely passsed on it. Instead, it ended up with neophytes, who are politely asking questions about making it serviceable on an internet board. To their credit, they have posed the notion that they are comfortable hanging it on a wall.
That is exactly what should happen to the gun. Unless you can complete all the work any project needs, be it a gun, a car, an aircraft, or a mansion, the results will almost never be worth the effort and money extended to bring the project to fruition. The world is littered with half-assed attempts at same, that are listed for sale to the next guy in line, with a notion of completing it, for good reason, or, mostly, not.
Project guns, especially good quality double guns, suck. The people who work in this medium are indeed, artists, and neophytes seldom understand that the guy who repairs a modern repeating gun is seldom the guy who repairs a double gun of even middling quality.
If you have need of a hammer cape gun, go buy one that needs nothing. You will be time and money ahead.

Best,
Ted

Craig W Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

With the last two posts from SKB and Ted, I totally agree. Particularly, I thank you for your intelligent and articulate replies.
If it were my own, I would be more than happy to clean it up, maybe replace the missing hammer with one I fashioned by doing a 3D scan of the right side hammer, inverting the image, then 3D printing an exact copy for the left hand side.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.