April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (skeettx), 467 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,840
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I reload AAs with fiber wads. I do so with blackpowder however. they work just fine. I haven't had much leading even if I forgo the mylar wrap or paper wrap.

I prefer to use wads that are well lubed in hopes that they are less likely to smolder. In some conditions, I will go back to smokeless and plastic wads to avoid fire issues.

The biggest problem I have had with them is that they are not really very consistent with regards to thickness which makes for issues with crimping, either folded or roll crimped.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I spent several months loading for the best 16 Ga. loads using RMC all brass hulls in my #2 AyA. My best patterns came from card and fiber wads, not 1-piece plastic wads and beautiful patterns they are!!

Jim
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am interested in using brass shells and fiber wads with bismuth for waterfowl. As per Salopian above, I have read that fiber wads produce good short range patterns, but how about longer range for ducks?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I killed a couple giant Canadas with fiber and Bi2's. Seemed fine but I did not pattern them.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

LGF,
Over here in the UK we use fibre wads and steel shot for Ducks & Geese without too many issues.
Need a mylar wrap to save bore damage with steel.
But there are many videos on Youtube showing birds being shot at 70 yards plus using fibre wadded cartridges.

Sidelock
Sidelock

LGF wrote: but how about longer range for ducks?
I have patterned my 16 Ga. at the distances I shoot using card & fiber wads with excellent results. The ranges vary depending on chokes.
Using NP hard shot: 22 yards - 37 yards using the IC barrel & 30 - 42 yards with the Mod barrel.
Suggest that you load up a few and pattern them.

Last edited by wyobirds; 01/15/19 04:24 PM.

Jim
FelixD Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone have specific information regarding data for AA hulls for clay targets? Many years ago the Ljutic mono wad was used as a replacement for the AA wad. Does such a thing still exist? What about fiber wads for reloading light loads such as 7/8 ot 3/4 oz? Does anyone in the UK reload Gamebore or Kent shells with fiber wads? Thanks in advance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many reloaders here in the UK use Gamebore shells for reloading.
a forum called PigeonwatchUK has a reloaders section , members on there will provide recipes and information for reloading fibre wadded cartridges . Although we use many different powders here I am sure some useful information can be gleaned.

FelixD Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the lead salopian.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.