March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#534930 01/25/19 01:48 PM
justin Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone anneal the tops of large brass cartridges? If you do would you please give me a quick lesson in how to do it.
How hot and how fast a cool down.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never annealed a case. Have read about it and looked around a bit. There are different methods a salt water bath among others--this is supposed to be good. The cats meow is supposed to be the Annealeez, it doesn't have the chemicals..

Salt water
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwdTaDLz56Q

Annealeez
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=623&v=lU2DWMiMeUo

This will make your head spin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0qLPirQfM4

Last edited by Richard Saloom; 01/25/19 09:18 PM.
justin Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

The main point is to anneal the neck without annealing the head. If the neck is just heated to the point of annealing (think of it just giving the bluish color to the neck like factory brass has) then air cooling is fine. Some people just hold the case head in their fingertips and rotate the neck in a torch flame in a darkened room until they see a color change and then drop the case in wire basket to cool. Some have a drill attachment that rotates the case in the flame and then they dump them off in water. If you heat the neck to a red heat you have grossly overdone it and may have destroyed the case but this might be hard to do if you are holding the head in your ungloved fingers;-) Watch this video to get some idea of how little heat it takes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhqmnSZKDmE

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do mine pretty much like Halfadouble, except I drop them in a coffe can of water. You can't hold a case in your bare fingers long enough to hurt the cartridge head.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I make 6.5x58R Sauer brass from 9.3x72R, 222Rem from 223, 22-204/6mm-204/25-204 from 204 Ruger brass. All have to be annealed. Also when I start getting split necks on cartridges like the 22-250 I anneal the whole batch, I keep batches of 50 separated so I can keep tract of them.

I use an appropriate sized deep socket(brass base just fits in easily) and spin them over a propane torch until the start to color, then tip them out onto a damp towel. The damp towel sucks the heat out of them quickly and then I don't have to worry about drying the brass as in a water bath. You can do a bunch quickly and get right to reloading. I believe having the head of the case down in the deep socket somewhat protects it from the heat of the torch also.

If you want to sure you don't heat the base of the cartridge you can stand them up in a pan of water so just a little more than the area you want to anneal is above the water when I used to do this I would use two torches one on each side of the case. I'd set them in rows and just move down the row heating them one at a time.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think your rotating in the socket would give a much better result than the water bath which would tend to heat the necks unevenly from side to side.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to anneal cases by placing a pie tin filled half way with water on a kitchen "Lazy Susan" type arrangement and rotating the cases by placing them one at a time in the middle of the tin and turning the it while heating them with a propane torch. When the proper temperature had been reached, I simply tipped them over in the water with the nozzle of the torch.

Nowadays I heat the cases using an induction coil and holding them in my fingers. I drop them into water and use a case drier to dry them out afterwards.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, if you were going to neck a .357 case down to .256 Winchester, would you anneal after reforming the case or before?

Thanks.

Rem

Sidelock
Sidelock

Remington40x,
To go from .357 to .256 is a pretty difficult operation. I suggest you buy case forming dies instead of depending on seating and FL dies alone. You are going to crumple a lot of cases( with out forming dies) whether you anneal first or later. I think you can find .256 cases. they will cost more than .357, of course, but form dies are also expensive. An easier solution might be fireforming 22 Rem Jet. It is also hard to find, but if you are careful, and use gentle loads with a filler, you should do pretty well.
Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.