April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (earlyriser, SKB), 177 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,431
Posts544,705
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

hello there lads,
It looks like I sold my old greener hammer pigeon gun.
Now, I realize this has been hashed over many times before, but I am looking for the best, well lets say,less accident prone & best in getting your insurance dollars back if the shit hits the fan.
I will be making a box, something with perhaps a 1"x 3/4" pine frame with 1/4"ply sides, whatever, it will be all screwed together, & will be custom lined with multiple slabs of 1" Styrofoam insulation, as much as it takes for me to feel its good.
This will be one solid, well made box.
If this seems overkill, perhaps it is, but I have loved this gun for close to 20 years, and want her to get there in one, well actually three, pieces ):...so what do you reckon? fedx , ups, Usps. I trust my box, but looking for bestif things turn ugly
thanks
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is very hard to beat USPS priority mail in my opinion. But I have never had a problem so I can't address your query about making a claim against them.

I made a similar box - I used decking cedar (a little lighter than pine). I glued the bottom and side joints, in addition to screws. That box was for a Joseph Lang double rifle and I sent it Registered mail in that instance. It was VERY slow, but VERY secure. I followed on tracking as it was signed in and out of every stop along the way. If you elect to go this way, shoot me a PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why go to all that trouble, Buy a plastic takedown case that is foam lined, make sure you get the card board box. ship it priority mail or registered mail. I have shipped many and received many shipped that way. Only had one damaged and that was by UPS.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

The way you packed it I'm sure you could ship it by towboat on the Erie Canal and it would be just fine!...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello Brent,
yes, the wife n I have an ebay store, & nothing has gone awol in 3 years or so.The tracking thing is the way to go for sure.
I will be nervous whatever way it goes.
Please comment guys, especially about when things go wrong,
cheers
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Frank when you build your box, put a wooden divider between the barrel and butt/action. Not just to keep them separate but also to reduce crushing possibilities for that 1/4" ply. Doesn't really need to be screwed or glued, but it can be.

Your Greener is a great gun. I was sorely tempted since I have recently bought a Greener hammerless from just about the same era (sold 1903, built 1901 or 2 as I recall). It would be nice to have a hammer and hammerless brace of similar guns.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use Priority Mail almost exclusively. It's easier, faster, and cheaper and I have had zero incidents with over 100 guns. I'd recommend going down to Wally World or similar and buying a hard plastic case, then boxing that up. Simpler, lighter, and as strong as wood. But much lighter for shipping, and the buyer can reuse it!

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd ship it in a one piece cheap plastic Walmart gun case taped shut then bubble wrapped inside a larger cardboard box.

You ship a gun in two pieces inside the same container you could be asking for trouble.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Priority mail works for me. Packing well as you describe is 99% of the job. Friend pointed out to me if I was happy dropping the gun from three feet to the floor in my package the gorillas in shipping could not harm it. I ship a lot of guns wrapped in a dense foam taped to each part, then place them in a LOM case and or hard plastic case which is double boxed in cardboard. I want both soft then hard layers protecting the gun. The cost is extra weight and increased shipping cost but be honest. You will never collect what its worth if it gets damaged in shipping. So over pack and be happy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have adopted a PVC pipe approach

I put the barrel in a gun sock, then a thin bubble wrap, then into a length of PVC pipe. On the stock I gun sock it, bubble wrap and into a slotted above drain pipe.

I put all the pipes into a larger box, wrapped and padded heavily.

I realize it is overkill, and creates a heavier, larger box to ship, but it has served me well.

On shipping service, I have used UPS (cannot say for sure that is best, but has worked well)

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.