April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (FelixD, Wild Skies, R. Glenz, KY Jon, 1 invisible), 460 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,093
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In the 1885 Purdey Catalogue on page 18 they mention a new size express rifle of .639 bore and shooting 7 to 8 drams. Advertised as a new size Express, the largest ever made. Has anyone ever heard of or seen one of these rifles?

Sidelock
Sidelock

In one of the Double Gun Journals from about 10 years ago, there was an article about a 20 bore express rifle made for an Indian Raj. It is escapes me what the fellows name was. It was a nice article. Beautiful gun.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks ClapperZapper, I have the back issues of The Double Gun Journal, will look it up.I have a 28 BORE James Purdey double rifle cased with all original accessories and mold now and used to have back in the 1970's a Holland and Holland 12 BORE underlever hammer double rifle that weighed 16 pounds and was regulated for 10 drams of blackpowder cased in almost new condition with all accessories.It was a one off experiment made for the Nawab of Bhopal. My 28 BORE takes a modified .577 Snider case and I am reworking them now. A friend of mine has a 16 BORE Holland and Holland double rifle regulated for 9 drams!I like those oddball BORE double rifles!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I handled a cased 20 bore Purdey express rifle for a long brass case about 10!years ago at an auction in San Francisco

Somewhere I have photos, I recall there having been a few things funny about the equipment in the case, and there being something about the barrel flats that looked off, but the weight of the rifle and the width of the action and the buttplate suggested that it was built for power.

GaryD I'm interested in seeing photos of your 28 bore rifle, and I'm very much interested in seeing that bullet mould.
Can you post photos?
What is the charge prescription for your rifle?
Is it engraved on the buttplate?

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Tinker, the 28 BORE double rifle was made in 1867 for a Viscount Downe and is marked on the butt plate for 3 drams. The powder measure is also 3 drams. It has about 70% original case colors, about 80% original brown on the barrels and the rifle locks up as new. The BEST pictures, way better than I can do are from the October 2012 James Julia Auction lot 2332. The bullet mikes .575 and the tapered bore (groove diameter) is .551 at the muzzle, as best as I can tell. I cerrosafed the chamber and the groove diameter at the beginning of the rifling is .5755, bore is .5655. Weight 9 pounds 3 ounces. The conical bullet cast from the numbered to the rifle mold is grooved and casts a hollow point bullet weighing 460 grains. Julia's listed it as a.577 Snider, but a Snider is too big. Length ok and the rim dia. and thickness and base are ok but it tapers more than a Snider. I made ten cases from .577 Sniders and used tape around the case and ran them through a .577 Nitro cut off die to get the taper then trimmed to length on a small lathe. Tinker PM me with your email address and I will get pictures of the mold.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Gary

PM with email address sent

Sidelock
Sidelock

Did you guys look up the 20 bore express rifle in the old issue of double gun journal? I was curious if the gun you’re talking about is the same one.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just found the archive for the Purdey rifle auction, but it appears as if i need to join their club in order to view theboage with the photos.

If anyone here has an account with Julia Auction house and can copy/paste the image links here I'd very much appreciate it.

Here's the link I landed at

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/mobile/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=389213

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Tinker try this link. Click on pictures to bring them up.
https://www.morphyauctions.com/jamesdjul...nal-case-45077/

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

ClapperZapper, I haven't had time to look the 20 BORE up yet.I am wondering if it is an Alex Henry my brother owned and sold to Frank Findlow who wrote articles in Double Gun Journal, one of which was a 20 BORE double rifle.The Alexander Henry 20 BORE was one of 4 double rifles made for the Maharaja of Pattiala at the same time. There were two 20 BORE double rifles and two .577 double rifles. I owned one of the .577 double rifles and my brother the 20 BORE. I will look the article up after I get back from vacation. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.