April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jimmy W, eeb), 1,158 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,842
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One of my hunting buddies (Im down to 2 1/2 since one has developed MS, and shows up about half the time) has a friend who is a member of a family hunting club, started perhaps 75 years ago. My friend got to tour the property, about 1K acres, in Pine County MN.
During the tour, it came up that one of the founding members had died from an accidental self inflicted wound, attempting to lower his Marlin lever gun from his tree stand with a rope. The 35 Remington bullet entered under his jaw, and made for a quick, if grim, death. My understanding is this was not a recent occurrence, and happened long ago.
The club responded by banning hammer guns of any type.
I dont know the details of how it happened, and dont understand the logic behind the decision. My single exposed hammer gun is a Marlin 336C in 30-30, that has a safety button in addition to the half cock hammer, but, I have never actually fired the gun (inherited)and dont have an opinion on it.

Good enough reminder to be safe out there.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very sorry to hear of the accidental death. Lots of questions come to mind, but I won't mention them because, obviously, no one here can answer them. My biggest concerns now are with his family who remain.

Thanks Ted.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Actually, now that I ponder it a bit, there is another gun with an exposed hammer on the property. It is a Winchester (Cooey) 840 single shot 12 given to my brother for Christmas in the year 1976.
My brother despised this gun, and gave it to me, in a broken state. I repaired it, and cleaned it up a bit, and, have yet to fire it either.

Not much of a spokesman for hammers on guns, I guess.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Make more sense to ban the lowering of loaded guns by rope from a tree stand.
Naah, that is just silly for me to think that.

O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

A friend told me about his uncle who blew half his guts out by pulling a loaded 12g shotgun by the barrel from the back seat of a car.
He survived.

What do we ban in this instance ?

O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted;
You say your understanding was this happened long ago. The Marlin 36 & possibly early 226 guns did not have the safety button. The only safety they had was the half cock. I truly don't want to sound too Calloused but anyone letting a "Loaded" gun down from a tree stand muzzle up likely deserved whatever they got.

I really don't know how this happened & seriously doubt the fact it had an external hammer had much to do with it. With the gun going down, anything snagging either the hammer or trigger should have been working in the opposite direction for firing. It, of course, could have been possible the gun snagged & he pulled it back upward a bit. If the hammer was then pulled back & released it should have caught in the half cock unless the trigger was snagged simultaneously. If just the trigger was caught he would have to have given it a pretty Stout Yank to have broken the half cock notch to allow the gun to fire.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
What do we ban in this instance ?

We could ban stupidity. But, then there there would be no one left in Sacramento.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kinda interesting story Ted, thanks for sharing it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Every AD incident seems to have a human element, or, more accurately, a human failure. This is a guy I grew up with:

http://www.moraminn.com/news/hunter-lose...2cb3014f3d.html

A detail not mentioned in the story is the gun was on safe when it fired, confirmed by deputies who responded, and it is part of the group of rifles that was fitted with the problematic Remington 700 trigger. But, he made a critical error when he picked the gun up with his hand over the muzzle.

Be careful out there. My point, already noted, is that a particular design of firearm likely has little to do with an accident that results in maiming or death.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Miller,
Im pretty sure the 336 got the additional safety button in the late 70s. Prior to that, they were all half cock safety only.

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.