May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 938 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,542
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Over the years I have picked up many cases off Ebay. Most, if not all of them, are in far worst shape when you get them than they look like in the pictures. I have way too many hobbies to try leather repairs as a side line. But after a few cold beers I figured out that one of the local Amish farmers could direct me to someone who might be good at this type of repair. One did and I had seven cases repaired for less than $150.00. Each case had some minor to major flaw that needed to be fixed. Now all my leather repairs go to one of the Amish tack repairs shops. They do first class work, are fast and reliable. In fact I try to give these type fellows as much business as I can. Craftsmanship is always to be admired and supported.

You have to pass each end of the thread with needle attached through the same hole in the loop to do proper backstitching. I don't see how you'll ever get the opposing end of the thread with the other needle in the same hole using this method. You have only about 3" clearance to work with and one thread with a needle at each end. KBM

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ortolan, I've seen some new basic machine sewn LOM cases in the $350 range - the current Robert Cochran hand made LOM cases now start at $950 not $550.

I have a LOM case made by The Orvis Co, Manchester Vt. Its a well made case thats not very old. Also have a Red Head that has the A&F logo in gold on it and the carry strap fastens to brass buckles on each end. Sort of different.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ortolan, the only practical way to stitch the handle straps on is with a stitch awl. When you punch it through the leather and pull it out it leaves a loop of thread that you can run the other end through. Works great. For end caps and other open areas I use the two needle saddle stitch. Here's one link I found for the stitch awl: http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/Mer...ategory_Code=65

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ortalon makes a good suggestion, "Don't be afraid to spend up for a minty case in excellent condition."

Money Well Spent.

O-D

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like and A&F case Old Doubles,I have one not a LOM but I picked it up at a auction for a bit more than a C note if I recall.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.