March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Marc Ret, coosa, HalfaDouble, Gunning Bird, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 404 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#539938 03/05/19 08:19 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi lads,
I was dropping of my Greener pigeon hammergun at my FFL for shipping, & was checking out the few sxs guns he had, one caught my eye. It was an A grade Philly Fox, #30907. It seemed in nice condition, kinda nice wood, some faint colour...
I checked the date code in the Useful info department here...around 1925, or so?
If in good condition, would this gun be worth 1600?
I'm not a fan of American guns...but it looked kinda nice....though I know nothing about American guns.
I wish I had had my phone to take some pics...just curious, as I know nothing about Foxes....you had to hold the top lever open for the gun to close...not sure of bbl length, stock drops, but seemed to be longish bbl, & not too much stock drop
I know, you guys need a pic, but just wondering..perhaps I'll go back if it seems fair.
thanks
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

You had an English hammer double, and now you are looking at a Fox?

Indulge me, why did the English gun go away? That would seem to be far more interesting then what a random Fox might be worth.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dear Ted,
I sold my Hammergun cause I needed some bloody money,is that ok with you?
Like I said, I know bugger all about American guns...& I'm sure I will not buy it, but I was just asking a question about an A Grade Fox value, as I have never looked for one, this was the only decent gun in his rack.
It just seemed a decent gun for the price, but like I said, I don't have a clue on these, & was curious about the top lever.
Thanks so much for your helpful post on my original question
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was simply curious. Sorry if that crossed a line with you.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

if it was a good deal, i'd post details for you guys
franc

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Franc,
The toplever should stay over when the gun is open. It's usually an easy fix. No shame in admiring a Fox. They're nice guns.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hammer, the gun wouldn't close unless the lever was held to the right, if I let go of the lever , the gun wouldn't close...that's what I meant
cheers
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

The most common bolting on both English & Continental doubles uses the double underbolt. On many of these, the front lug is shaped to cam the bolt back on closing so the top lever returns to center when the gun is either fully open, closed or disassembled.

Most American doubles use a latch to hold the top lever to the right except when the gun is closed. The latch may have been lost or someone could have removed it intentionally, preferring to hold the lever over for closing than to have it be latched over when disassembling & having to push the latch to return it to center.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just FYI there is a wee coil spring under the trigger plate screw that pushes the bolt catch up. Easy to loose and replace. The Fox is a decent design and the A grade is the lowest of the graded guns.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.