Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

. I know farmers who trace their lineage back to Germany-- Blood pudding and sausage, wurst und sauerkraut-- all the good old things to eat that today would probably put a cardiologist into orbit-- but hard work, and a sense of being good neighbors to boot, kept them hale and hearty for years-- Fuchs

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 03/12/19 04:14 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I stand corrected, Suh. My farmer friend also has a late 1940's "A" with a 6 volt battery starter- foot pedal- but both his old B and the later A have "Armstrong" power steering-- Lotsa iron in thos old 2-lungers- He also has a 1936 Ford flatbed truck with the V-8-- still runs great-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
moses Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
. but hard work,

That reminds me Fox, of a thing my Father used to say.
At primary school (the only school he did) one day the teacher said that "hard work never killed anyone"
One of the boys shot his hand into the air & when the teacher asked him what it was he wanted to say the boy drawled "that may be so sir, but it sure ruined a lot".

O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had all the comforts of mid 20th Century American life when I was growing up. At 21 I entered into a period of self-imposed (self-inflicted) situational poverty. I learned an awful lot in those 12 years.

Knowing how my ancestors made it helped me make it as well.

Alan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmmm, I got nothing.

If they weren't dead already, my grandparents were going quickly by the time I arrived. So zero in the heart warming grampa story file. And my father grew up in a wealthy family (although he likes to pretend he didn't but as he's in his nineties I don't argue with him anymore), as did his father. They all had indoor plumbing and electricity.

My paternal grandfather had a car before WWI. Was a lawyer. His wife, my grandmother, graduated from university around 1909. He was a Major, fought at Passchendaele, was shot several times and blown up once. Survived but was pretty frail by the time I came along in the late 1950's. He got into the car business after the war. More interesting than lawyering. His father, knighted by King Edward VII, was a provincial premier (like your governors) and his son was a provincial premier.

I did know my maternal grandmother until I was 10 and she was awesome. Lived for her grandkids and would get up to all kinds of mischief with us. Jumped on the trampoline, rode with me on the back of my mini bike. When I think of what a grandmother should be, she's who I see. Her husband died in 1931, less than a year after the birth of my mother. We are Scots with a bit of Irish and German in us while using a French surname.

I read your stories and miss that I didn't have an person like your grandfathers in my life. Luck of the draw.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Grandmother was born in a half dugout on a hardscrabble homestead on the Llano Estacado and she said they would have starved out if not for Jack rabbits and green tumble weeds,

She passed away two years ago at 102 years of age in her own home with me, my wife and her great grand daughter looking after her.

She was spry until about 6 weeks before she died. She ate a half rack of pork ribs 6 weeks before she died and a bate of cornbread dressing 2 weeks before she passed. I can't think of a better way to go out of this world than she did.

We will not see the likes of people like her again.

Last edited by postoak; 03/12/19 10:49 PM.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bless her heart.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And then there is my Daddy's people from West Tennessee, they were colorful, and unreconstructed Southrons. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: postoak
And then there is my Daddy's people from West Tennessee, they were colorful, and unreconstructed Southrons. smile

Sounds like good folks to me. Did any of them perchance leave you a Dance Revolver?

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wish, but them Dance Six shooters were made in Texas, if I recall correctly.

And some of my Texas forebearers were out of Missouri, who were Partisian Rangers who often wintered over in North Texas, and relocated there. They were real bad to hold a grudge.

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.