Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I posted back in January about a dismal day but a great day hunting. I flushed 9 grouse and missed them all with my new Fox Upgrade by Dan Rossiter.

I went up north to my bird hunting partners place in the Adirondacks and we had a preserve hunt on Friday March 8. I wanted to bloody my new gun and redeem myself. We also wanted to test the concept of hunting a pointer and a flusher together; each with a specific job to do.
My Field Bred English Springer Mollie (AKA Pheasant Feathers Mellow Mollie May McGillicutty) and my buds Spinone Gina (yeah, go figure). Gina would seek and point, and Mollie would walk at heel and go in for the flush.
It worked pretty well. We flushed 8 birds (4 pheasants and 4 chukars) and killed all 8. I was 100% on 4 birds and mark was about 80% on shots but got 4.
It all worked well with the two dogs. Mollie loves to retrieve, Gina not so much. The only issue we had was when Mollie would pick up a bird and head back to me (she delivers to hand) Gina would then want to take the bird from her as she headed back to me. That was the only issue to work out. Any suggestions??
Normally we work each half a day at a time when we hunt woodcock and grouse but we decided to try a tandem approach.
So the Fox came through. Mollie and Gina came through . And my Bud came through. He said he missed the one bird so I wouldnt think he was perfect. (Sounds Like Joe Wood and his hunting buddy doesnt it!!!!!)

Last edited by Brian; 03/12/19 11:30 AM.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice pic and story Brian...I know you said Spinone what is the white dog ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian, having two dogs going after the same bird can be very bad news. You may end up with two halves of a bird. Or a pretty serious dog fight. The pointing dog may need a reminder, courtesy of an ecollar, that the flusher/retriever is taking care of those chores.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a Golden/lab mix that was a great retriever. Soft mouth, gentle disposition. At the same time I had a Black Lab that was a good retriever but he'd let the golden do the work then take the duck from him on the retrieve. I solved the problem by giving the Black Lab away. He ALWAYS took a crap in the bed of the truck too, which made it even easier to part with him....

Alan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like you two never bonded...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Call the non retriever back to sit. Hold her there while the other dog does the retrieve. Do this with dummies until she does it without fail before trying it with real birds. Good, consistent training will cure a lot more bad habits than a Ecollar.

I never let any dog run off to retrieve on their own. They are released to do it on command every time. Learned that lesson while hunting with a buddy and his dog. Covey flush on the side of the road just before a feed truck came along. You guessed it. Dog went to retrieve a bird which was wing clipped and flew into brush across the road. Feed truck front and both rear wheels hit the dog. A nasty sight. After that I added training to all my dogs so they were to stay or sit until released by command to retrieve. Easy to do if you start it from a puppy.

Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The white dog is the Spinone

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hard mouth can often be broken, or managed. Depends on the dogs, I suppose. Friend and I hunted over 2+ pairs of labs (2 guns, 4 labs). Probably half the birds were brought to hand as a group activity - but not mashed.

Only bird that got torn up.....one shot, 2 birds....wasn't really. I'd cut it in half with a load of #2s. Mistakenly chambered without looking during a hot shooting stretch. Carried it for coyotes and such.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Knew a fellow who shot a 20 gauge rifled slug at a rabbit one day. Think he carried it in case he came across a deer. It rocked him back a bit in his single shot 20. Light gun/ heavy load. He also missed the rabbit. Claimed he shot in front of it. After that he carried it in his shirt pocket so not to load it by accident. Never knew if he used one in a deer, but likely he did. He hunted a lot of rabbits and often would see a deer in that type of cover.

Deer out of season was a big fine back in those days, $100.50. Fine and court cost. Now days most farmer have unused permits for deer they will gladly give you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Brian
The white dog is the Spinone

I knew that....what was it bred for herding sheep ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.