March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, docbill, Dave Weber, cable, 2 invisible), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BCole Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Does anyone have a tutorial or instructions on the replacement of the yoke on a Fox vraded gun? Looks fairly easy, but I don want to overlook anything.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know that the yoke screw is peened in order to prevent it from backing out. You have to Dremel away the peened metal in order to remove the screw.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Its been awhile but I'll try to answer your question as best I can. Btw Gr8day is correct you probably will need to grind the peened area of the yoke screw so that it can be removed. however if I remember correctly you will also have to remove the whole top lever assembly. to do that you will have to loosen the set screw on the retaining nut and remove the retaining nut (that requires a spanner tool which you will see). You also need to remove the combination top lever spring/safety rod screw. This spring is like a mine field for the uninitiated, note that there is a small ball shaped end on the screw that fits into a cup shaped end of a pin for better words. Here's where things get interesting, behind this pin is a strong coil spring. It is VERY helpful to remove the pressure on this spring (a third hand is helpful here). If you do not remove the pressure on this spring in all probability the pin and spring will shoot across your shop floor and you will spend the next 2 hours or days looking for them. BTW, if there is a way to remove the yoke without doing all of the above I would like to know it and I'm being sincere about this.

Doug

Doug Mann
BCole Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Doug. Good information. I ordered a yoke from Jason at Fox Parts. He warned me about the spring as well. One suggestion I received was to put a towel ofer everything to catch the flying parts when its popped loose, which sounds like a good idea. Nothing like spending a few days on gou hands and knees with a flashlight looking for stuff. Jason also suggested taking a 8 inch flatheah screwdriver, heating the laxt 3 inches, bending it at about a 45 degree angle, then after allowing to cool, cut a notch in the blade with a rat tail file. Use this to compress the spring for more control during removal and installation. Sound worth trying. I bet after replacing 3 or 4 it will be a lot easier. Thanks again. I will let you know how it comes out in a latter post.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My watchmaker has an interesting method of working with watches that have small screws, springs etc that fly around. He places the whole watch in a clear plastic zip lock bag. He then sticks the screw driver thru the plastic to disassemble. Screws, springs that take off are caught in the bag.
I have no clue if you can adapt something for your use, but I was impressed at his technique.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use an awl with the sharp point removed and slightly rounded. The profile of the point very slender also.
I use this to push the follower/plunger down so I can unscrew the ball ended top lever screw.
The rounded point won't dig the plunger's cupped end up and the slender profile will let you get that point into the cupped tip just as the ball is beginning to be backed out.

Disassemble..I start to back the top lever screw out just a bit,,maybe 1/2 turn or so. Just enough to get the point of the awl onto the cupped end of the follower. Then push the follower and spring down with the awl and hold it there and continue to back the screw out.
Yes the spring is a strong one and make sure the action is secure in a bench vise to do this.
Either vertical or horizontal in a vise,,which ever gives you the better strength to push and hold that spring down.

Putting it back together,,same thing. Start the screw into position through the spindle. Then push the plunger down with the awl and hold it there.
Then crank the screw into place. The screw will push the awl out of the way as it turns into place (another reason for the rounded 'point' on the awl) and the plunger will take it's place under the ball end of the screw.
A touch of grease in the cupped end of the plunger helps the transition.

Eye protection always..

jlb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

What is the yoke?

jlb

Sidelock
Sidelock

The split arm piece that engages the top lever spindle inside the action. The other end of the yoke engages the rotary bolt.
Push the top lever open, the yoke transfers the motion to the bolt and rotates it to unlock the bbls.

The screw that passes through the yoke and the spindle itself is the one which is usually peened over on the threaded end to prevent it from backing out,, and probably from tightening up anymore too.
It has to leave the arms of the yoke with some clearance to move about the spindle as it rotates the bolt.

BCole Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks guys. Everyone has some great suggec for the pesky tol lever spring. Never thought of placing something in a clear plastic bag to catch the flying parts. A gallon bag should hold a Fox action.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.