April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18
Sidelock
Sidelock

Off the civil war and back to the race baiting again, eh.

Our latest local big deal is street names. Our most prominent resident race hustler had taken on the crusade to change the name of Forrest Street to Barack Obama Blvd.

Turns out the street name was originally Forest St. (one R) because it was at the edge of town and where the yellow pine forest began. Then it was changed to Forrest St (two R) to honor a local black man. Funny sometimes what actual history will turn up...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 03/30/19 04:39 PM. Reason: added first sentence
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
Next, I'd cite federal regulations to protect soil, air, and water, many of them initiated by Republicans. No more. My state was ravaged by the mining industry. The current administration is working diligently to undo those protections and pave the way for free exploitation of resources regardless of cost to the environment. I totally agree with you about concern for the world we'll leave behind, but the crux of the problem isn't a world where our grandchildren won't be as wealthy as we are; it's that they'll inherent a world very substantially less livable. Trump has managed to boost the economy short term. He's willing to do so at any long term expense.PS: Do you mean to mention Nixon's conclusion of the war as some king of positive achievement?

I like to take things one thing at a time and really get to the bottom of it, as much as we can. I've already addressed your derisive dismissal of Nixon ending the Viet Nam war. Still waiting to hear what you think would have been better.

Next point. Who said anything about our grandchildren needing to be as wealthy as we are. I didn't and that isn't what drives me. I would however, like to not saddle them with needless levels of debt that are beyond comprehension and the expenditure of cash that caused the debt, utterly wasted. Can we agree that's a good idea Bill? Can we agree that we shouldn't beggar our grandchildren?

Federal regs to protect the environment. Good ideas. Shouldn't be a partisan issue. It's been made into one and for that, probably both sides share some blame. I actually think those sorts of things are the natural role for government. Setting standards that make sense that help preserve the world we have. But what are those standards? I think we can all agree it's not creating toxic dumps in the name of profit and then abandoning those dumps, like my compatriot Robert Freidland did in Colorado at the Summitville mine. Some stuff is obviously bad. But other stuff is a little grayer, and the partisanship that now exists makes it harder and harder to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I don't know that the current administration is working diligently to destroy the environment. I know you think so but I've heard so much bullshit in the last 20 years about global warming, outright politicized lies, that it's gets harder and harder to accept anything at face value these days. In the name of wealth redistribution and western guilt, there has been a whole lot of abandonment of the scientific method. How would you propose to solve that Bill. Or is it just more satisfying to keep yelling at each other, sleeping soundly at night knowing the other guy is the bad guy and nothing to be done about it.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Next, I'd cite federal regulations to protect soil, air, and water, many of them initiated by Republicans. No more. My state was ravaged by the mining industry. The current administration is working diligently to undo those protections and pave the way for free exploitation of resources regardless of cost to the environment. I totally agree with you about concern for the world we'll leave behind, but the crux of the problem isn't a world where our grandchildren won't be as wealthy as we are; it's that they'll inherent a world very substantially less livable. Trump has managed to boost the economy short term. He's willing to do so at any long term expense....

So, mining has left a mark on your state? It's probably not good enough for you, but isn't your state riddled with super fund clean up sites? Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't, but it's a plan with a goal, right?

How come you don't want to clean up the 'ravages' of mexican meth and heroine on your state? Is it because you voted for it, or is it just easier for you to pawn the problem off on your kids and grandkids? Too funny, they may not have monetary wealth, but they'll benefit from all the 'investment' in social justice that you're doing now, huh?

Here's a quick challenge for you, can you comment factually on the long term expense thing that you felt like throwing out? Or, did you form your feelings based on robo emails from tester?

Last edited by craigd; 03/30/19 02:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wealth redistribution? Where is that?Wealth in this country has been increasingly concentrated in the hands of folks like Bezos and Zuckerburg. How come I don't want to clean up drug problems? Craig, why would you assume something so patently stupid? Yes, I'd like them cleaned up? You clearly equate drug problems with immigration. So does our clueless president. If we somehow expand social justice, everyone will benefit. What do you have against social justice? As for Nixon, what would have been better is for him to have ended it sooner instead of delaying the end for his re -election. As for the "long term expense thing" Trump's push to deregulate industry is undoing things I give Nixon credit for despite his descent into criminality.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wealth redistribution? Where is that?Wealth in this country has been increasingly concentrated in the hands of folks like Bezos and Zuckerburg. How come I don't want to clean up drug problems? Craig, why would you assume something so patently stupid? Yes, I'd like them cleaned up? You clearly equate drug problems with immigration. So does our clueless president. If we somehow expand social justice, everyone will benefit. What do you have against social justice? As for Nixon, what would have been better is for him to have ended it sooner instead of delaying the end for his re -election. As for the "long term expense thing" Trump's push to deregulate industry is undoing things I give Nixon credit for despite his descent into criminality.

Bill, you are just staggering around the field like a drunk man, stepping into one cow pie after another. I'm a high school drop out....you spent your life in academia and I can think circles around you, never mind write them.

Why wouldn't you give Nixon credit for the things he did well? OMG you are mad at him because he didn't get out of Viet Nam fast enough? But Kennedy and Johnson are okay because they were Dems, right?

Wealth redistribution from the rich western nations to the poor second and third world, all under the watchful eyes of NGOs like the UN, corrupt money sucking organizations if there ever were. Bill, you seem to confuse intent with result.

Where was your precious Obama while Zukerberg and Bezos were acquiring that wealth? They made the bulk of their money under his watch. Did you know that? Gates made most of his under Clinton. Where was the outrage then? And what should the government have done. Did you notice the rush to repatriate corporate cash as a result of laws passed by Trump?

To Craig's point, what's with the priorities here for the Dems? Of course you'd like the opiate problem cleaned up. So would we all. So why then, while that horrific epidemic is devastating your country and mine are the Democratic generated headlines about guns and Russian collusion. Stew on that for a bit and see if you can't figure why some of us over here on the right are a bit cynical about the Dems' good intentions.

Social Justice? What is that anyway. Giving money and advantage to those who haven't earned it? If it were about applying the laws equally to all, I'm all for it. But I suspect that's not what is meant.

Your "clueless" president recognizes in his own fallible way that there is something rotten, no putrid, in Washington. Your democracy is at stake and you don't even realize it, you are so busy jumping up and down about Russian collusion. Who needs Russia when you have the Clinton crime family.

In my country, it's become so bad our Prime Minister and half the media don't even recognize or understand that tampering with the justice system on behalf of cronies and friends against the will of the Attorney General is what makes a Banana Republic. I suspect if you lived here you'd be a big supporter of our very own Trudeau. A man who has publicly expressed admiration for the Chinese system of government because of the speed with which they can get things done. Who gives a rats ass about due process and laws, right?

Last edited by canvasback; 03/30/19 04:35 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

let me throw a curve ball -
I don't want to get involved in US politics -I don't live there anymore (unfortunately!)
My personal belief is, and has been for the last 40 of my 73 years, that the real problem we have is the number of people living on this planet - and growing exponentially !
More people, less space -
less space - more aggression
more people - more politics (see where it us in the UK today!!)
more aggro - more regs
more cars - more road regs
more cars - more regs and accidents (and more CO2 or whatever and more do-gooders)
more people, more idiots/criminals
more people need more food - where does it come from?
soon the area required to grow food for all of us will be greater than the available area -
(what was that film in the 80's?/90's? where the biggest (only?) company then was selling food pellets to the 'populace' that was made from your 'dear loved one'? he he!

and so on - I don't want to go any deeper into details, otherwise I run the risk of being called all sorts of names by the (local?) Press who like the New York Times...

I will say one thing though: if one watches certain TV programs and the News in general, it seems to me that, how shall I say this without running the risk of being sued in court? -
the families who seem to have the highest number of children - in the US or here in the UK - or anywhere else for that matter - seem to be the ones who are not in steady employ
(and have not been for a long time) and would not have much chance if they tried...
That seems to me to be another of the problems...
Call that what you like, but it's a fact!

Greetings from England
Gunter
NRA Life 1974

Sidelock
Sidelock

CB, you don't seem to read very well. I give Nixon credit for his environmental legislation. Yes, he didn't get out fast enough. The two previous administrations were handicapped by the domino theory. They were wrong. Kissinger had the sense to see through that, but he let Nixon delay a peace plan until he was reelected. Countless people died for that. Giving money to people who haven't earned it is the battle cry of conservatism. It translates into," I've got mine; if you don't, that's just TS. Never mind the injunction about my brother's keeper. The current economy is good to some people. Whether or not they deserve it is open to question. Those whom it abandons aren't automatically to blame.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunter, You got the main part right. The human race has exceeded the planet's carrying capacity. We are the only organism that destroys its own habitat. Or, as Mark Twain points out, the only animal who blushes, or needs to. We have succeeded in building a world so complicated we're not capable of managing or sustaining it. Thank goodness we have our AR 15s. As long as Trump's in the WH, there's still money to be made. Party Hearty.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, how could you write so many patently stupid things? Just kidding, I was waiting for the right moment to try it out, but then I got over overwhelmed.

Last edited by craigd; 03/30/19 05:32 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig, Relax. Scratch your head. You'll remember what you meant to say sooner or later. Meanwhile, we'll hold our breath.

Bill Ferguson
Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.