April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (susjwp, R. Glenz, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 232 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,459
Posts544,981
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a Bernardelli Italia Extra hammer gun on which the tip of the hammer spur has broken off. It's engraved and pierced and according to two very well known and reputable gunsmiths to whom I've sent the gun for repair, it's not repairable and the tip of the other spur is likely to similarly depart if I continue shooting the gun.

Having a hammer made from scratch is cost prohibitive for a gun of this level of value. The quote I got to file up a pair is about 3/4 of what I have in the gun.

I was wondering if there is someone out there who makes "replacement" hammers that come without the hole for the pin and could be fitted to the gun. I'd prefer ones that are largely shaped and finished, but would consider those requiring some finish work. I definitely do not want to duplicate the existing engraving pattern, but would want the spurs properly checkered for a better grip with the thumb when cocking.

So, is there a source for such things? And if so, what measurements do I need to take to ensure I get a proper replacement set? And finally, what would be a reasonable estimate of the cost to fit them to the gun?

Thanks.

Rem

Sidelock
Sidelock

You need the throw of the hammer - ie the measurement of the center of the axle to the firing pin.

Replacement hammer castings are available - from peter dyson and E J blackley, Dysons are in my experience OK quality but require further work, blackleys are fantastic quality, but be prepared to be ignored for two years while he messes around presumably holidaying on your payment while you wait and wait and wait.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might see if SKB can make you one. I vaguely recall him having some sort of duplicating machine that might work for you.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

You may want to contact Charlie at Hill Rod and Guns.

Last edited by rocky mtn bill; 04/23/19 12:49 PM.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm happy to listen to more if there are any.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Remington40x,
Another suggestion, get another hammer similar to the broken one, but with enough "meat" to allow filing to match; and have the broken one repaired by cutting the thumbpiece off the new one, welding it onto the broken one and dressed/checked/colored to match. It will fit, no problem.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 04/23/19 05:21 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can make you a hammer if you can't find one.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Dixie Gun Works has a decent selection of replacement hammers. I believe they have semi finished and basic rough castings. You might find something that will work.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I shopped at Dixie regularly all through the '70s and '80s and I was always very pleased with their products and service.

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24069/Forging

May be worth a phone call or email to these people.

Rust never sleeps !
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.