April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 187 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,441
Posts544,760
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tom C
Has anyone heard how the pheasant nesting went in South Dakota? I'm headed out there again in late October. The population was up last year so another good year would be great.

I can't tell you but it is likely to be highly location dependent. Here in Iowa, I am awaiting the August road counts with some anxiety. We had a mild winter until it was suddenly very very cold. Late cold can be deadly. After it finally warmed up, we had lots of rain here in the Central Plains during nesting, but the intensity of if was highly variable. Western Iowa and Eastern Nebraska got hammered. The Dakotas has similar variability.

Where in SD do you hunt? Further west might be much better than the East, although I'm guessing a little.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I stay in Gettysburg, which is in the center of the state, just east of the Missouri. I stay at duxdog's place. It's a very nice man cave:)

I know what you mean about a cold winter this past year. My thermometer hit -26 oF at one point.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom, with a little luck you will be okay I think. But again, I'm guessing. I was worrying more about my region than way out there.

-26 ain't too bad. But that it came so late. Frost didn't get real deep here (only about 1.5 ft). That has helped with having more bugs this year I think. Maybe. Until we get some data though, we are just pinning hope on the wind.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

SE ND Doug. Even with my failing eyesight I am seeing quite a few broods of half-grown pheasants along the roads and have a brood of sharptails on one of my burned pastures. Reports show good water conditions in the whole southern half of that part of the state included in the pothole region.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not doves but lots of June and July rain coupled with hot weather has produced many second duck hatches in the prairie potholes

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tamid, that is good news for us duck hunters. Jim

NRA Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim,

Come to Alberta and have a waterfowl experience you couldn't dream of in CA. Assuming CA is California not Canada.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jon, I would be very interested to hear if the dove you've been watching has a fifth nesting this summer.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ill know in about 7-10 days. She has been around me so much I can walk up to just a foot away before she starts to get nervous. She still stays on the nest. I was surprised when she had three eggs in one nesting. All three made it. But who knows after that.

I had a pair of nesting hawks in my back yard a few years ago. They depleted the rabbit, squirrel, chipmunk and dove population feeding their young. Feathers and hair was seen alike every day in the yard. They nested behind me for a couple years then moved back on, or something happened to them. Now they are gon and all the food types are back in plenty.

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tamid I think you mean successful renesting attempts. Ducks do not raise two broods, but regularly renest if early nests are destroyed.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.