Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

James,
The US could use a guy like you. Seriously, have you ever considered immigrating? How in the world could you make a more powerful statement on your belief system, then telling Ottawa to pack it, and come here, where your competence would be valued?
Do consider it.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Craig, I really appreciate your best wishes and I share your hope that one day, in Canada, I have some flexibility with how I can use a handgun.

In the meantime, paper targets are just fine. I'd like to get at home with a hand gun as I am with my shotguns. Now, the shotguns had a 50 year head start, so I have some range time to put in.

King, I think, and I've been seeing it for 10 years, that there are a lot of young people who have and still are discovering how fun shooting can be, in a variety of disciplines other than hunting. It's given rise to the popularity of "black" guns.

The problem is there are a lot of Canadian gun owners who are quite prepared to look at guns that aren't blued steel and walnut hunting guns and say "No one needs one of those.....go ahead and prohibit them or make them restricted".

It's short sighted and stupid. The NRA raises over $300 million annually for the defense of the 2cd and the promotion of shooting sports. Given the comparative size of our economy and level of wealth, we should be raising $25 million. Our disparate and "at war with each other" guns orgs aren't raising a fifth of that.

Part of me wants to just say F*** it and move to the US. But I'm stubborn, plus, my view is the correct one. I just haven't sold it well enough to the right number of people. So I keep at it.

Firearm laws are the canary in the coal mine when it comes to a nation's rights and freedoms. It's a battle worth fighting. Many in the past have already died for it.

Last edited by canvasback; 04/29/19 05:17 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

wow! a TC-Contender!
now that's a gun! I remember vaguely that, when they went first on sale in Germany(have forgotten when that was - sometime in the 60's I'm sure) I wanted one! but could not afford it. One of the attractive parts was the ability to change calibers.
They were expensive then - what are they now? (are they still made? - I somehow don't think so)
Difficult to shoot off-hand though, I should think - weight alone..

Sorry, but this took me back some 50 years....

rgds
Gunter

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just have to add to this thread that it was thanks to the generosity of Steve Voss and Wingshooter16 (Mike) that got me going on this. Spending time with those two in Nebraska the last few years and having them take the time to show me and let me shoot a variety of their guns (as soon as they heard I'd never even held one, never mind fired one) while out in the Sandhills, really whet my appetite. Good folks.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice side story cback, it's about being there and the folks, not just the heft of the game bag.

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

taking the course is easy, buying a handgun is even easier....finding a club that is taking in more members, to shoot your gun...is near impossible.

a beretta 9 mil would be my choice nonetheless.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
I just have to add to this thread that it was thanks to the generosity of Steve Voss and Wingshooter16 (Mike) that got me going on this. Spending time with those two in Nebraska the last few years and having them take the time to show me and let me shoot a variety of their guns (as soon as they heard I'd never even held one, never mind fired one) while out in the Sandhills, really whet my appetite. Good folks.

We started James out with a.22lr, moved up to a 9mm, then 45acp, and ended with a 38 Super. All 1911s, of course.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Truer words never spoken Craig.

Dal, Im lucky enough to live an easy drive from several handgun ranges/ clubs that are taking in members.

Glad you listed those Steve. Was trying to remember what I shot. Not doing a good job. Lol. Hope you are well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

hammerless semi-auto pistol is too dangerous???
I guess hammerless doubles are too dangerous.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
James,
The US could use a guy like you. Seriously, have you ever considered immigrating? How in the world could you make a more powerful statement on your belief system, then telling Ottawa to pack it, and come here, where your competence would be valued?
Do consider it.

Best,
Ted

Ted, that's a remarkably kind and generous thing to say and suggest and it humbles me. I love your country and I love Americans and I love Americanism. But I love Canada too, for all it's faults and mostly all it's insecurities.

What I really wish is that as countries and as peoples and as individuals, I hope we continue to be the best of friends.

Last edited by canvasback; 04/29/19 10:18 PM.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.