April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 381 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,091
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

There can be no argument that the incidence of tick borne diseases is exploding; Lyme, Babesiosis, Human Granulocytic Anaplasmosis, Powassan Encephalitis, and other very bad things.
https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/diseases/index.html

The why is of course dependent on one's agenda ie "it's climate change and we only have 12 more years to live" smirk
Interesting short articles suggesting that forest fragmentation with increasing populations of white-footed mouse may be part of the culprit, and we might be to blame
https://www.nsf.gov/news/special_reports/ecoinf/lyme.jsp
https://www.johnshopkinshealthreview.com...me-so-prevalent

Why Lyme is exploding a California is unclear...oh, it's climate change too! frown
https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2018/05/410401/lyme-disease-rise-expert-explains-why

Sidelock
Sidelock

Disease explodes in target rich environments. That's all there really is to it.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

This hunt ran for 20 consecutive years, but is no more. This particular hunt had 214 hunters from 6 states and 301 coyotes were killed over the 3 days. Our high was 224 hunters and 700+ coyotes killed in the same period of time...We have plenty left.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember duck hunting back a while when my buddy and I spotted a Red Fox poking around near the shore of the lake we were on. After a bit, it got close enough that my buddy shot it with his duck gun, it made his day. Eventually it ended up in his game pouch. As it cooled off he was feeling more and more itchy. Turned out fleas were jumping off of the fox and taking up on him. I thought it one of the funniest things I ever saw, that thing was infested.

I don't feel the need to shoot every coyote on sight, but it can be a fun off season game animal, even if it's not classified that way. Last fall I looked over a coyote that was busted up pretty good by a hot round. The kid skinned what was left of it and heard later he got a hundred and thirty-five bucks for it. I could be good seasonal work to keep someone in the hobby.

Sidelock
Sidelock

keith, you make a good point of Lyme emerging in Lyme, Conn. I read a story in Scientific American of the disease-tick connection in the early 50s and noted its northward migration long before anyone was talking about climate change.

The early story was American hunters brought the disease to the southern tip of Nova Scotia's Yarmouth county on their hunting dogs, the region a virtual Shangri-la for grouse and woodcock at the time. I can't vouch for its accuracy.

I do know deer/black-legged ticks have taken 50 years to spread the 220 miles from Yarmouth county to where I live now on the Northumberland Strait, looking across to Cape Breton Island, where they apparently haven't reached.

To your point, my guess is Lyme did not emerge from where it was named. It was where the connection was finally made of ticks causing a particularly debilitating and sometimes fatal disease. You and I live in more-chilly places.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I pretty much quit big game hunting 30 yrs ago as my wife now wife doesn't care for game meat or actually much of any meat(she grew up on a farm and worked 10 yrs in a packing house in here youth) so killing a deer or any other big game animal was pretty much a waste. I do hunt ducks any cook them when she is away which is often enough so none go to waist, same with pheasant and quail.

I do hunt coyotes for their pelts in up to 5 different states a year. I will go on an occasional hunt in the fall as part of a predator hunters convention(not a competition hunt). As far as I'm concerned there could be a season on coyotes. Every time I see a summer killed coyote I see $50+ thrown away. I hunt coyotes enough that I have at least a half dozen rifle set up just for coyotes including 3 double guns(combo and drillings)

I do some control work for ranchers but I try hard to do it in the winter, kill a female in Jan. she won't have pups in the spring and you can at least pay for your gas for the trip. Kill her in may and you starve the pups to death and waste the pelt.

Coyotes can be very hard on fawns, Mahuer National Wildlife refuge has been trying for years to reintroduce a native pronghorn population and the coyotes have decimated the yearly fawn crop to the point that the program is making little headway.

16ga/16ga/6.5x58R Sauer 1 oz of NP BB's works well in the shotgun barrel and 90gr Speers sized to .260 in the rifle.

12ga/5.6x50R Mag 1 1/4 oz NP BB's or 52gr Speer HP

Last edited by oskar; 05/01/19 09:26 AM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.