April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 218 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,044
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, thanks once again for your time and effort on accidents like these. It's something all of us who shoot old shotguns need to think about.

I have a number of once fired Herter's 16ga hulls on hand. Like virtually all 2 3/4" shells, they're a little short of that mark--but not much. I get them at about 1/32" short of 2 3/4". So definitely longer than what was probably an original 2 9/16" chamber (possibly lengthened).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 775
That let go at the breech.
Look at the shell.
Look how thin the chamber wall is at the rib.....one of the most important places we cannot measure wall thickness.
Look how compromised the chamber to rib solder is.....it is black and crumbly, looking just like the little chunk missing about half way down the chamber I bet that was there a while...little chunk or pit let go, eat solder from inside out and after some time.....boom.

I see no ring bulge, I see the back of the chamber letting go and peeling the barrel forward.....not saying for sure it was not obstructed but that was going to go....sooner not later.

I'm with you. I instantly focused in on the back of the chamber by the rib. Very thin and part of that fracture looks old and well fouled, as if it had been broken for a while before the coup de grāce.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think a 28 gauge skell will lodge in a 16 gauge gun. As far as I know, that will only occur with a 12/20 combination

Sidelock
Sidelock

Scary how thin the chamber has been filed on the inside near the rib! Gives me chills just to see it! And yet, I have a number of guns joined the same way. Makes one appreciate one piece monoblocked barrels or The Sauer shoe lumps.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is not as well known as it is a less common occurrence since the 16ga is not normally shot in any of the regular Clays games, but Yes a 28 ga shell will lodge in the forcing cone of a 16 gauge gun, same as will a 20 in a 12.

From the appearance of the chamber, I would guess it has been lengthened & not an expert job by any means. I seriously doubt though that was the cause of the burst. Wile the 2 9/16" was standard for the 16 in that era American Guns were not universally marked for chamber length & were available "On Order" in several different lengths. As I recall in 16 they could be ordered in 2 9/16",
2 3/4", 2 7/8", 3" as well as 3¼". In many cases, A "Long cone" generally means at least the cone has been lengthened & often the chamber as well. it truly is anyone's guess as to what the original chamber length was. Many chambers, however, were lengthened with reamers having standard cones prior to the long cone becoming popular.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very lucky no one was hurt. Gives me even more reason to never alter a forcing cone or chamber. Wish I had wised up years ago. That chamber does look thin and the black area worries me a bit. A split with let go?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I imagine billions of shots have been fired in guns joined similar to this one with no ill effects and we can only guess the pressures many have digested without even a burp. Millions of guns were made this way. So, I’m going to say time has proven it to be safe. I keep looking at that dark area in the break up about 1 1/4” forward of the breech. I agree with others, it is dark and not consistent with the rest of the fracture. Could have been a crack that went unnoticed until it let loose with an exclamation point!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd also say it looks scary how thinned the barrel looks around the rib. There may be some ring bulge present, but it has the look like the chamber hinged outward with the pivot point around the right side of the extractor notch. Note to myself, take a look in the chamber towards the midline, my feeling is that dark spot would have looked suspicious without much effort. Thanks Doc Drew for presenting the incident, doing the digging, and explaining the possible rib extension construction that's hidden from view. Will be watching for updates.

I'd edit to add, that even though it may have been a common construction technique, it certainly has the look like it breaks the classic rules of barrel thickness for the location. It could have been exaggerated by chamber work, but it still leaves the possibility of relative thinness combined with potentially higher corrosion risk in the same general area. Only thoughts.

Last edited by craigd; 05/03/19 09:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree about the dark area. It may have been compromised for some time.

The chamber doesn't surprise me at all. I've seen many original chambers with tool marks. One Sterlingworth had identical grooves in both chambers from a burr on the chambering reamer and those chambers were original 2 5/8ths. The low angle at which we view the chambers when looking in the barrel makes them look smooth. Even when they are not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
The whole chamber is one giant ring bulge.

This looks for all the world like a 28/16 accident.

There may be very little to no displacement of the rib, and it does not appear to have burst 6 to 12 inches down the barrel as Doc Drew had mentioned in the "How much barrel obstruction" thread.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.