April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot steel 3" BB's & BBB's through a Fox HE that had been cut to 29" with no choke for a couple goose seasons. Sad that it had been cut, but knowing there was very little choke I wasn't concerned.
Sold the gun to TG at gun show and always wondered if the barrels grew back to 32"?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sold a well worn Fox A grade 20. About a year it popped up for sale. High condition, factory original finish. Collector grade. Offered to send dealer my original photos of the before condition of the gun. Dealer forgot I had sold him the gun. He hung up. Buy with a large salt shaker from some of these guys.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim Thynne at Ivory Beads told me years ago that he thought the old fox Sterlingworth with heavy barrels would be the best of the American classics for waterfowl with steel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
Jim Thynne at Ivory Beads told me years ago that he thought the old fox Sterlingworth with heavy barrels would be the best of the American classics for waterfowl with steel.

I certainly would not disagree with him, but I can see no sense in shooting steel in a vintage double. Two reasons ...... there are several alternatives to steel for older guns, and there are doubles that can handle steel that aren't vintage. JMO, YMMV.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
JHJ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Dickinson SLE is fully steel compatible. I still prefer Kent alternatives. We are talking 50 bucks a year, max. Come on, guys. there are no excuses.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Would any of you recommend lengthening forcing cones for steel? I believe that would relieve some of the pressure of steel shot loads and perhaps reduced potential for long-term damage.

I have never heard pressure mentioned as the concern with steel shot? I always thought it was simply the lack of compression compared to lead for the tighter chokes. I have shot steel in an old Stevens Model 311 made some time in the early 60's I believe with no problems, but of course, it is choked IC and Mod. Still nothing larger than 3's.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Perry would not lack of compression in the forcing cone have to result in higher pressure? Seems like it would. Maybe not enough to matter though.

I had the cones lengthened in my Merkel back in the early 90s. I could not discern any before-after differences but figured it couldn't hurt while the the tubes were being put in.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Don't stone me: Modern steel compatible SxS 12g?"

Everybody must get stoned...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=eve...8&FORM=VIRE

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Remember that max pressure in a shotgun comes well inside the chamber. By the time the shot charge has moved far enough to enter the forcing cone it has already begun to fall. There is little reason to believe a short cone will cause an increase in the max peak pressure of the load. It "May" have a very slight effect on slowing the fall, but that's about it.

No, I am not a Ballistician, so anyone who has "Proof" this is wrong please do so. So many times I am reminded of the words of Julian S Hatcher when he said There are things which Sound good when you Say Them Real Fast, that simply won't hold up to Scrutiny.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

How does the pressure fall before the shot moves? Where does it go? After all, the pressure is created by the additional space that the combustion products need relative to the solid powder. The only way the pressure can fall is if the gases expand, and the only way that gases can expand is if the shot moves.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.