March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, Argo44, Stanton Hillis, Pat Gidley), 759 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, you could ask him if barrel fatigue since the manufacture of the gun at the potential flawed spot could cause this or is something additional, such as corrosion, required as well.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Boxlock
Boxlock

As I see it
1. Everyone who was present said that the sound of the round going off was significantly louder than the rest of the shots being fired.
2. The shell in question must have had a large load of a high energy powder such as Bullseye to blow the gun. It probably was purposely overloaded and not an accidental overload. I do not think that a double load of a powder such as Reddot would have caused the burst chamber.
3. The shooter said that he was firing factory ammo. He is credible. I do not think that anyone would be crazy enough to knowingly load or fire such a shell.
In conclusion I feel the shell in question was purposely overloaded prior to the shooter obtaining the ammo.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave in Maine
....The discussion as to the primer (viz. the primer bulge happening as the headspace failed) seems fair. But, it does not account for the extractor imprint. Logic tells me that, if there was to be an imprint from the extractor (as there is), then it would have to have happened before headspace failed and before the chamber wall blew out. First, the extractor is not in the region that failed. Second, on the chamber wall blowing out the pressure (necessary to force the shell head into the extractor to cause the imprint) would drop off rapidly.

I think this was a hot reload that met up with a chamber with a very weak spot.

I would consider a couple of things. First, I dont think a slight extractor imprint in the brass is more significant than the blown out brass on the opposite side, the shell looks to have distorted as the shape of the chamber was changing. And second, I do not believe the primer of the blown shell is flattened, to me meaning that at the point the shell was fired it was not over pressure or if over, not significantly.

Its a mess, but I dont see a flattened primer cup or other signs like flattened manufacturer stamping on the head of the shell. Apparently, the load fired out of the barrel and there doesnt appear to have excessive thrust against the breech. It appears to have failed radially, and the extractor happened to be opposite the force that it took to peel the shell open. Only thoughts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know why it busted. Lots of good guesses here, but I'm waiting for Dr. Drew's experts to tell me what they find through a scientistic investigation!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

A few observations. All of the chamber failures Ive had firsthand knowledge of were reloads from a progressive loader , all loaded by life long reloaders , theyve all been 20 or 16 gauge and they have all been in the right barrel. Im not sure what all this means but I have my suspicions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mark
A few observations. All of the chamber failures Ive had firsthand knowledge of were reloads from a progressive loader , all loaded by life long reloaders , theyve all been 20 or 16 gauge and they have all been in the right barrel. Im not sure what all this means but I have my suspicions.

Were all of the targets that were being shot at the time orange?

smile

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Originally Posted By: mark

Were all of the targets that were being shot at the time orange?

smile
Not sure about the color of the targets.

But they were all loading low pressure loads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Old Redd Foxx might have fun with your response-- "Thar she Blows"- fitting, as L. C. Smiths are often called "Elsies", are they not.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe the LCSCA gruppen does NOT allow members to advertise Smith guns for sale on their website-- Not sure about the Parker-istas, nor the Fox-ists either. Only LCSCA member I know personally is Jent Mitchell- a Virginia Gentleman indeed- Every yeaqr since 2005 he sends me one of their beautiful calendars, and e-mails me and is kind enough to invite me to some of the SC events in the Eastern seaboard area-- Maybe some day I'll do that--with a few of my L.C. Smith 12 bores--

I NEVER shoot reloads in any of my shotguns, regardless of gauge or make or type--I prefer RST, then AA- then Federal, in that order--RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple of additional points for whatever contributing value they may have.

Ref: pressure. Someone on the 16ga forum in discussing this event stated:
I had Tom Armburst test some Factory Herters 1oz #8s a couple years back Fps right around 1200 , psi right at 11500 .

And, also, again a 2 3/4 shell in a 2 9/16 chamber.

Regardless, glad no one was hurt.
Sorry he lost his Smith.

Speude Bradeos
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.