Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" Chuckie Dickens gets credit for this baby. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

What era is best? I agree that the current era is best in terms of materials and manufacturing techniques, if what you are after is a reliable, cost-efficient gun. The 'standard' configurations and designs have been perfected through many decades of improvements and adjustments.

The downside is, well, everything pretty much looks the same, built on the same designs (with a few notable exceptions).

To me the most exciting era for English doubles was the late 1850s and the 1860s. A sportsman had real choice to ponder: a tried-and-true muzzle-loader? A new pinfire or needlefire? A Lancaster basefire? Or a Daw or Lancaster built for the new Schneider centrefire cartridge? Of the latter choices, which would be easier to use, the Daw snap-action, or Lancaster's slide-and-tilt? With the rising popularity of the pinfire, the choices were even greater by the later 1860s. You could go with a forward or rearward-fitted underlever, a pull toplever, a lifting toplever, a pivoting toplever, or one of the myriad sidelevers from Needham, Dougall, Law and others. You could go with a full snap action, perhaps with a forward or thumb lever, or a semi-snap, or a mechanically assisted opener, or the most basic and simple Henry Jones double-bite action.

The fine hammerless double with a Scott spindle and Purdey underbolt, and the Anson & Deeley boxlock, are peerless designs. But the age before these became 'the standards' is much more interesting to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

BrentD... love seeing my old Geener which you bought at auction . Hope it is as enjoyable to you as it was for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

McKay Brown will make you a best gun with the best materials ever, but they are undeniably luxury goods, as best British guns always were.
I always thought that Scottish gunmakers had the lead on slender grace.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Saskbooknut
McKay Brown will make you a best gun with the best materials ever, but they are undeniably luxury goods, as best British guns always were.
I always thought that Scottish gunmakers had the lead on slender grace.

Yup, it sure does. I replaced the replacement silver inlays with sterling silver that match the original perfectly and restored a few other things and it is good for another 100 yrs. I really enjoyed hunting ducks and geese with it last year, and I also used it a lot on pheasants. It will see more of the same this year.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve;
I have a gun which falls within your preferred time frame, W & C Scott & Son 12 gauge Bar in Wood Pinfire. It carries no serial number but has the customer's name engraved into the top rib, William D Kennedy of Louisville KY. I contacted a Mr Crawford with info on it & he suspects it was made between 1863 & 1865. It carries a Matthews Patent bolting system which consists of a center pivoting top lever, but not the Scott Spindle, with a single underbolt. The locks are the smoothest working locks I have ever had the privilege of handling, though I have not handled many truly high-grade hammer guns. I purchased it from a Louisville collector & he had tried to get info on Mr Kennedy but could find neither a birth nor death certificate for him in Louisville. All he could find was he was issued a business license to operate a Jewelry Store which included the time frame this gun is estimated to have been built.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh, Brent--that Greener looks somewhat like one I should NEVER have parted with...beautiful, but painful to remember!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Steve;
I have a gun which falls within your preferred time frame, W & C Scott & Son 12 gauge Bar in Wood Pinfire. It carries no serial number but has the customer's name engraved into the top rib, William D Kennedy of Louisville KY. I contacted a Mr Crawford with info on it & he suspects it was made between 1863 & 1865. It carries a Matthews Patent bolting system which consists of a center pivoting top lever, but not the Scott Spindle, with a single underbolt. The locks are the smoothest working locks I have ever had the privilege of handling, though I have not handled many truly high-grade hammer guns. I purchased it from a Louisville collector & he had tried to get info on Mr Kennedy but could find neither a birth nor death certificate for him in Louisville. All he could find was he was issued a business license to operate a Jewelry Store which included the time frame this gun is estimated to have been built.

Thanks, 2-piper. The sound and feel of cocking a well-made hammer gun lock is special, which is why I much prefer hammer guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dan S. W.

Dan. S. W,
I thought your gun looked familiar - here's my Greener. Not as similar as I had originally thought...
Anyway, to the question. I'm fond of the early center fire era for many of the reasons pointed out in the article and elsewhere in this thread.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JB, definitely a strong resemblance - especially in the shape of the hammers. Are those drop points original or is it a restock? Very nice, either way.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.