March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Dan R, Hoot4570, ChiefAmungum, canvasback, 2 invisible), 356 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,985
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
JBG Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the responses, I will reply shortly with answers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

22/23 are not that thin unless it is very near the breach. They were struck thin from the start to get the weight down and most likely were .025 from the start. I have a LeFever 20 which is untouched and both barrels have long sections that are .020. Just by luck they have not dented but thin barrels may dent easily. This 20 is under 5 pounds.

If you like them and like the feel, then after making sure the thin areas are several inches past where your hand rest buy them. But understand if like the light weight feel of those thinly struck barrels sleeving them to get more thickness will destroy that feel. Ive heard countless people complain about sleeved guns feeling heavier than they were before the were sleeved. Hello, more metal means more weight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Barrel walls on Brit 12s often have barrels below 24 thou. and are in proof. I have a nice London SLE made in the 1930 - in proof and with barrels of about the same thickness as the ones you posted about.

I think I would worry if the barrel were much under 20 thou. and some lightweight 2" 12s came from the factory with barrels below 20 thou.

If you like the guns, buy them.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
JBG Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is what I was able to find out on the pair:

Proof .729

Bore Size:

No 1: .733 LH, .730 RH
No 2: .730 LH, .730 RH

Thinnest point 22 thou is 12" from the muzzle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is the seller unwilling to share the end-of-the-chamber and 9" from the breech wall thicknesses?

I agree with others that .022" from mid-barrel on is adequate, and commonly found in light weight and small bore doubles.

It would be prudent to recheck those numbers under a 3 day return policy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PALUNC
I would have no problems with that. Some Makers struck their barrels down to save on weight. Like Boss for example.

That's correct. If it's a rare case where you can still get information from the maker, with a gun that light, you might discover it left the shop with walls that thin. Or you might discover that it's been honed a whole bunch over the years. One way you can likely spot honing if there's been much: Measure the bore diameters and compare to what you find on the barrel flats--whether it's an actual diameter or whether it's the older style 12, 13/1, etc. If it's been honed so much that it's now out of proof, I'd certainly stay away from it with MWT that thin. Unless maybe it's way out at the muzzle.

Woops. Missed your last post. Bore diameter does not look to have been messed with very much. Looks like one of those cases of a pair made very light. If the guns were made in the 70's and those are the original proofs, I'd say you're good to go.

Last edited by L. Brown; 05/31/19 05:29 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Hollis SL that I shoot occasionally, that has MWT about that. It's well down the barrels, and I only use low pressure stuff in it, so no worry there. My biggest concern, as others have mentioned, is denting it.

Guns with barrel walls that thin should be used with extreme care, IMO. Hunting is not necessarily the issue ......... but handling them around vehicles, in workshops, on shooting carts ........ anyplace where those barrels can strike a hard object to dent them, is how damage usually occurs. There are plenty of other suitable guns that are not so prone to barrel damage. I'm no big fan of super lightweight shotguns, anyway. Others may be, and that's fine. But, lightweight guns require an entirely different shooting style for me. I have learned to adapt to them, so that I can shoot my .410 doubles reasonably well, but it takes a conscious effort when you shoot 9 lb. 12s and + or - 5 lb. .410s.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

How long are the barrels?
If they were made in the 70's, then they have probably not been re-proofed. Assuming that and given the bore sizes stated - the barrels should be original as made.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.