April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bob Jurewicz), 277 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,044
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

As boys, my cousins and I hunted frogs by walking along the pond bank
(no boat) I used a 6" K 22. With LRs I lost them, with shorts they were breakfast.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

We used a Daisy BB gun. Shot them just behind the head in the center. They never flinched, little white hole the size, of, well, a BB. They were small frogs, and you could use the legs, and cast what was left in the Lilly pads on a jig, a catch a bass or two.
In later years, we netted them, and sold them, live, to a bait store.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Eley subsonic. HPs are far superior to any thing made by or made from CCI, Winchester, Remington, etc. Not even close. But they do cost.

Mostly agree. To distances at which sub-HPs expand (< 60 yds) they are more accurate than CCI sub-HPs in our rifles. At 100 yds and beyond CCI subs are consistently more accurate. Then, that's too far to expect expansion. So, in some sense, moot.

The "problem" with CCI SV and sub-HPs is lot to lot variation in velocity ES and accuracy. Stumble on a good lot - buy it all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't believe u guys would even try a single shot. I mean, what if you miss the boiler room...and it CHARGES!!

No no, only a double for me. 29 gr solid to stun him with barrel one. A 40 gr expander in the second barrel to finish him off.

Your guide should hopefully be backing you up with something heavier...perhaps .22 WMR.

NDG

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is correct Nudge.
Use enough gun.

O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll take the Eley over CCI for accuracy at 100 and at 200 yds every time.

Nudge, they don't get a chance to charge.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As I recall a Brown bear was taken by a young Eskimo girl, who was out blackberry picking with her boyfriend, many years ago. This bear stayed on the top of the record list for many years. As I recall the bear did not actually charge her but was coming down a path in the briars directly towards her. She waited until it got within "Spitting" distance & when it turned its head a bit to the side she shot it with a Single Shot .22 rimfire using "Longs", not LR. She had to shoot it a bunch more times but finally, put it down for keeps. I have seen a p[icture of it hanging with her standing beside it holding her little Rifle.

When I was doing my squirrel hunting I was hunting for the pot, which was why I hunted mostly in the early season to take advantage of the tender young "hatch". I dearly loved a young tender fried squirrel. My average shot was more on the order of 50 feet, never tried for 100-200 yard shots. Those CCI's out of that lowly Mossberg was plenty accurate for those conditions.

Brent, I shot a Win Low-Wall chambered for .22 short & long a couple of weeks ago. This gun was bought for my Dads younger Brother by my Grandfather back in the depression for less than a Dollar as my Dad recalled.

It was passed on to my uncle's son, my first cousin who only had girls who were not interested in shooting so he gave it to my Grandson. It was the first Gun I ever shot, period, but never owned it.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I only hunt squirrels for the pot, but I find them equally tasty at all times of the year. December is my favorite time to hunt them because they are so active in the Squirrel Rut, such that it is. I shot a limit once with a .54 flintlock without moving from one spot one year.

The Winchester Lowwall is the Queen of all singleshot .22s. The one above is completely custom, inside and out. It is a fine 200 yd benchrest rifle, when required, but it makes a perfect squirrel rifle too.

An old #3 Ballard is right fine as a squirrel rifle also, but lacks a few refinements of the Winchester. Still, it gets the job done. These 4 were shot without moving my feet even the slightest amount.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent your gray(?) squirrels have a lot more orange on them than ours down south. What I don't like about early season squirrels is they often have a bot fly larvae in them. We call that wolves. Nasty looking varmint...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

These are Fox Squirrels. [i]Sciurus niger[/]. Same as yours.

We could find bots, but it is very uncommon. I've not seen one in Iowa. I don't recall seeing one in Georgia either, but I'm sure they were common there. The mice certainly had them.

While bots are ugly looking, they are totally harmless, including if one gets going on you. They won't hurt a squirrel's palatability.

I have shot only 4 species of tree squirrels. They are all excellent table fare. But one day, soon, I will hit the road for a complete Single-Season Squirrel Slam.

_________

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.